XPEnology Community

Max amount of HDD

kewag

Hi, 

my working NAS runs 1.04b on a ASRock QC5000 wich has 4port sata +  an extra 6port sata-pcie controller

I added one more harddrive and it doesn't get recognized. After switching harddrives I found out the system only supports 8 harddrives.

What can I do to get more HDD recognized by the 'DS918' on 1.04b.

17 hours ago, kewag said:

ASRock QC5000 wich has 4port sata +  an extra 6port sata-pcie controller

6 ports are usually 4 port controllers using sata multiplexer for the 2 added ports, dsm can't use multiplexer (that are not from synology)

in this case you will find only the real sata ports, so 4 is to expect in your case

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

6 ports are usually 4 port controllers using sata multiplexer for the 2 added ports, dsm can't use multiplexer (that are not from synology)

in this case you will find only the real sata ports, so 4 is to expect in your case

oh..... didn't know that. Kinda sucks. Going to remove the SSD then to get the last needed HDD to work :((((((( Or maybe I'm going to rebuild everything and use another board with additional pcie slots... Damn

Thanks for the info  

@kewag As posted here there are some options that might work out for your use, by getting a different SATA controller.

In my Asrock Q1900-ITX, I used the "WiFi-slot" to add a 2-port minicard , leaving the "normal" PCIe slot free for now.

It would be nice if some of the users here could tell if this 10-port card works well ;-)

Edited by bearcat
Added a link

3 hours ago, bearcat said:

It would be nice if some of the users here could tell if this 10-port card works well

in general i'd say 2 x pcie for 10 ports just from the numbers not good for SSD (maybe not even for normal disks)

same controller as

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-PEX10-SAT-Port-Express-Adapter/dp/B0177GBY0Y/

https://www.kuroutoshikou.com/product/interface/ata_sata/sata3i10-pcie/

->  Chipset: ASMedia ASM1062 + 2x JMicron JMB575

ASM1062 is a pcie bridge

https://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_index=166&item=151

JMB575 is the sata/ahci controller

https://www.jmicron.com/file/download/893/JMB575.pdf

"... With proper setting, the chip can be configured as 1 to 5- ports Serial ATA III Port Multiplier ..."

-> i'd expect you would only see 2 sata ports with DSM, one port from every JM575 chip

not a good option as it seems unlikely to be usable with 10 ports

as i stated in the other thread(s) always look for the chips and specs, if it does not make sense don't expect it to be usable

Lets do some number crunching, the card itself, using a PCIe X2 slot, is capable of 1000MB/s

if we divide that on the 10 ports, we have 100MB/s pr. port of concurrent transferspeed.

If we compare that, to the 600MB/s available bandwith for a SATA-3 interface,

where you may get in the high 500MB/s with a SSD this card would be a bottleneck.

But, if you like me, are using HDD's like the Western 4TB RED, where the *internal* transfer rate is 150MB/s, the actual bottleneck won't be as big.

So you may be able to measure the speedloss, but for real life usage, will you notice it?

Not sure if the card uses multipliers or not, as there is not much info to be found,only references to jmicron, but nothing specific as I can tell.

where did you pick up your info?

I found 2 old references to this card, seems like at least one user used it, but he had some other problems with his system.

Maybe the Marvel 9215 based 8-port SI-PEX40137 or the 16 ports SI-PEX40097 would be a "safer" but more expensive choice?

Edited by bearcat

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

But, if you like me, are using HDD's like the Western 4TB RED, where the *internal* transfer rate is 150MB/s, the actual bottleneck won't be as big.

that was my point it would even slow down normal/old fashioned disks (under best condition you might reach 200-250MB/s with a 4TB disk)

and you should not dare to add ssd for caching (this could be connected to the onboard sata, that usually have full speed)

So you may be able to measure the speedloss, but for real life usage, will you notice it?

if you only use 1GBit network you won't but if you use 10G nic and push 20-50GB video files you will

I found 2 old references to this card, seems like at least one user used it,

the blockage of multiplexers in dsm was introduced around 2014/2015 from synology (afair)

so the one complaining it does not work anymore might have installed the update that introduced it

in original synology systems it only affected people using external (non synology) boxes the used multiplexing to connect more disks

Maybe the Marvel 9215 based 8-port SI-PEX40137 

that the one i bought myself and was in the thread you linked above (with the 2 different 8port ahci controllers and the explanation of why/how to choose)

3 hours ago, bearcat said:

16 ports SI-PEX40097 would be a "safer" but more expensive choice

the description (marvel 9215) and board layout match, 4 x 9215 and one (bigger) pcie bridge

price point does match too, price scales as its more exotic and has lower production numbers

if you only have one pcie slot to spare and a 8port controller is to small it might be a option, you might find a 16 port lsi sas controller for 200-250 too and that one will have betterperformance for sure (if it matters)

• Like 1