XPEnology Community

Volume Expansion = No additional space

merve04

So I'm confused as to why I haven't seen an increase to my volume.

Im running SHR-2, I had 4x 8TB and 4x 4TB drives, which resulted in 29TB, I then expanded with a 4TB and DSM estimated 32TB after completion. The storage pool does indeed state 32.72TB in size, 3.63TB available, but under volume, there's no option to add\configure the extra capacity, only create a new volume. I've now added a 8TB, so once again its expanding and estimates 40TB once completed. Any advice?

Do you have multiple volumes in the storage pool?  If so, it won't know which one to expand.

Once your expansion is complete and are absolutely certain no restripe/resync/other activities are occurring on your system, and you still don't see all the usable space in the storage pool allocated to a volume, you can manually grow it in this way (assuming btrfs and example of volume1):

$ sudo btrfs filesystem resize max /volume1

4 hours ago, flyride said:

Do you have multiple volumes in the storage pool?  If so, it won't know which one to expand.

Once your expansion is complete and are absolutely certain no restripe/resync/other activities are occurring on your system, and you still don't see all the usable space in the storage pool allocated to a volume, you can manually grow it in this way (assuming btrfs and example of volume1):

$ sudo btrfs filesystem resize max /volume1

Thanks for the reply. Yes 100% it was done, cat proc/mdstat showed everything operating as normal, nothing in progress or delayed.

The storage pool I expanded only has 1 volume created in it. 
As mentioned, I’ve now started expanding the same pool with a 8TB now, will take a bit of time as there’s 2 stripes to expand this time. 
I use ext4. Would your command be as easy as replacing “btrfs” with ext4 in place?

32 minutes ago, merve04 said:

I use ext4. Would your command be as easy as replacing “btrfs” with ext4 in place?

No, the command is different. You also have to determine the name of the host storage device in order to resize ext4.  The easiest way to do that is to run "df" and look up the device associated with the volume in question.  If you are using SHR, it will be something like /dev/vg1000.  If you are using a simple RAID method, it will be /dev/mdx (x will be a specific number).

Then, resize the volume with this command:

$ sudo resize2fs -f <device>

This works in uptime, but I strongly suggest that you immediately restart the system after successfully running an ext4 resize.

Edited by flyride

Ok I’m a little bit of a novice when it comes to Linux stuff but not afraid to follow a tutorial. I will wait till the 8TB is finished being added to the pool and see what the end result is then. If new storage is still not being added correctly, I will try and gather some info from your commands first and report back with some screen grabs. 
thanks for the help.