XPEnology Community

ASUS P8z68-V LX

kewag

Hi,

I want to build another custom NAS and are trying to get this running on an ASUS P8z68-V LX (CPU is an I7 2600K and 12GB RAM). It's an old board so doesn't matter if it is a waste using for a "simple" NAS.

Tried any bootloaders (EFI/Legacy) but the most I see is the kernel message but nothing else = It doesn't get any IP, so can't be found by the assisstant.

I deactivated the onboard NIC which is Realtek (same as the one I use for another XPnolo) and used an INTEL CT PCI-E card, but doen't worked either.

I have dectiaveted C1E. Changed EFI to legacy BIOS. Removed additional Cards except Intel LAN

Now, I don't really know how to check certain things.

The USB sticks I used are weird somehow. Different companys but the USB tool shows same PID and VIDs all the time. In Windows 10 Hardware ID displays no PID/VID for both, they show an undlerline _______.

Could the USB stick be already be the problem and PID/VID are wrongly configured in grub.cfg? I don't want to modify the one I use for the working NAS.

Does anyone know if this Mainboard should work? It doen't look too special not to work....

Any help appreciated.

you dont say what loader you used, 1.04b for 918+ will not work for you hardware

3 hours ago, kewag said:

Changed EFI to legacy BIOS.

if its loader 1.03b (dor DSM 6.2.x) then it has to be legacy BIOS and you need to select the legacy usb device, if CSM is aktive you often see 3 usb devices, two for uefi and one for legacy

3 hours ago, kewag said:

Could the USB stick be already be the problem and PID/VID are wrongly configured in grub.cfg?

iven if, you should at least see the system after booting from usb (no dsm installed on disks), the vid/pid will be important when installing the *.pat file (the error for this is documented in the tutorial)

3 hours ago, kewag said:

Does anyone know if this Mainboard should work? It doen't look too special not to work....

i cant see any reason why it should be a problem for a  3615/17 installation

Hi IG-88

Going to try it again then with 1.03b and this time with the correct PID/VID. Tried a different Windows PC and voila, PID/VID are different.

So, I put the wrong PID/VID in cfg... No wonder then... 

Thanks for helping out. Would call this as solved.