XPEnology Community

Drive Partitioning

z-vap

So i am prepping for re-installing my diskstation. I currently have 3 3TB Western digital Red drives. I see from using gparted that they are in reality 2.73 TB each.

Anyway, in knowing that the sinstall takes one of the smallest drives spaces for parity, I was thinking of partitioning each drive into 3 equal spaces, to gain a little more space. 7+ TB instead of 6TB

953862 x3 per disk. formatted to Ext4.

Has anyone else done this? Or does the install overwrite the partition table?

sooo.... I didn't quite understand if you answered my Q:

if i do partition them into three chunks each.... and then install using SHR, are you saying that synology assistant WILL overwrite the partition tables back three full 2.73 drives?

in knowing that the sinstall takes one of the smallest drives spaces for parity.

Really? Good (but wrong) knowledge. In fact synology takes the LARGEST drive for parity.

If you would had different size drives for RAID and future expansion you would START with smaller drive and smallest one would become a common denominator in SHR. In your case it doesn't matter since all drives are the same size. If later on you add 4TB drive to SHR, you will loose 4TB instead of 3TG for parity.

During installation and RAID assembly drives will be repartitioned and formatted anyway. Your partitioning efforts will be ignored and wasted.