XPEnology Community

update question

mata7

Question

hi im new to xpenology, i set up a new xpenology server with i7 6800k, 32GB Ram, Asus X99-A II, 24 Hard Drive base on a DS3615xs and everything is working really nice, i just have a quick question, the DS3615xs only support 12 drive and i follow a few guide to make it work with 24 hard drive and like i say all is good, here is my question if i update to DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 5 will the 24 drive configuration  will be gone after the update and i have to redo everything or will stay?

thanks in advanced

Edited by mata7

5 answers to this question

Not sure what hack you did since you do not detail it but if I am not wrong you simply modified the synoinfo.conf file. That means that after (usually) a major update the file will be overwritten with the one contained in the update thus crushing any edits you did to it. Here is a way to overcome this:

yes thas what i did, i edit the synoinfo.conf, so going from 23739 to 24922 is that considered a major update? i dint updated yet and take precautions before do it

thanks for you help and for that link

Edited by mata7

That's not a major update. That's an intermediate update. Note that I said "usually". I do not warranty an intermediate update will not update that file. In fact even a critical update could potentially update that file if Synology decided to, say correct a bug that involved anything related to that file.