XPEnology Community

Migrate from Synology to N54L

ahhui90

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Found out about these DIY NAS systems and it seems like an option for my expanding volume.

I've ordered a N54L and would like to migrate over from a Synology DS413j due to its speed. Main purpose is to serve as a SHR volume for media files.

It is lagging when using torrent seeding and bluray streaming.

Is there a way for me to move over without buying any additional hard drives?

I'm considering using crashplan as a temporary solution to move my files (~8tb) onto the cloud, move the hard drives over to the N54L and then download them again.

Having a backup plan is good. Please use it, but you may not need to restore from it if all goes well.

Moving drives to HP server and booting it from XPenology USB flash drive may offer you migration option, which will preserve your data and some of the settings. Other configurations and settings will have to be reapplied.

Restoring 8tb from crashplan could take multiple weeks. i would not reccomend doing this. Even if you have a fast link (100/100) to the internet, it will not go faster then 5MB/Sec.

It sounds like it is a good time to upgrade your nas! Maybe buy 2 bigger disks, start a new shr, migrate from the current nas to your xpenology, format the disks in the synology and expand the xpenology with the empty disks from the synology.

I have a 411j, which is about as weak knee'd Syno as there is. When I discovered xpenology I was faced with the same issue/decision. What I did in the end was keep the 411j with its 4x2TB, and bought new 4Tb disks for my xpenology. I use the 411j just to store backups of the various pcs that I have, and use rsync to transfer these across to the xpenology box. Even with the relatively old Mobo & only 4Gb Ram I can run VMs and host media with transcoding now, which just wasn't possible with the 411j.

Not sure about what I will do when I decide to upgrade the Mobo on the xpenology box, I am hoping that with the same disks and boot cd xpenology will boot and keep on marching on.

Having a backup plan is good. Please use it, but you may not need to restore from it if all goes well.

Moving drives to HP server and booting it from XPenology USB flash drive may offer you migration option, which will preserve your data and some of the settings. Other configurations and settings will have to be reapplied.

I read somewhere that the initial installation of xpenology requires a hard drive that will be wiped and then initialised with DSM.

Is it possible to do that with the included hard drive by installing it using ODD sata port? of course BIOS mod will be done before that.

once i get DSM up and running, i'll pop in the existing 4 hard drives in the cold swap bays and see if there's a new volume appears? :grin:

Restoring 8tb from crashplan could take multiple weeks. i would not reccomend doing this. Even if you have a fast link (100/100) to the internet, it will not go faster then 5MB/Sec.

It sounds like it is a good time to upgrade your nas! Maybe buy 2 bigger disks, start a new shr, migrate from the current nas to your xpenology, format the disks in the synology and expand the xpenology with the empty disks from the synology.

thanks for the heads up, looks like crashplan is out of the question. is there any other reliable offsite host that has higher dl/ul rates?

I read somewhere that the initial installation of xpenology requires a hard drive that will be wiped and then initialised with DSM.

Initial installation is for new disks. Your disks are already formatted and initialized by synology, wherefore migration is possible.

wow even with this dsm port it works as usual?

1) create the nanoboot usb drive

2) insert all 4 existing drives

3) boot from the nanoboot

4) choose a certain option (i remember seeing a screenshot before, is it migrate?)

5) back in business

is this right? :grin:

wow even with this dsm port it works as usual?

1) create the nanoboot usb drive

2) insert all 4 existing drives

3) boot from the nanoboot

4) choose a certain option (i remember seeing a screenshot before, is it migrate?)

5) back in business

is this right? :grin:

Something along those lines.

DSM is the original Synology software. the only modifications/adaptations XPenology made is to replace the standard bootloader with modified one, add more hardware support(drivers) and remove the hardware authenticity checks. The functions, features and behavior are the same.