XPEnology Community

How to check if loader is ok?

raultaboraz

Question

Hello,

I am currently in 6.1.7 with 1.0.2b working ok.

I would like to update to 6.2 and I have done 1.0.3b pendrive as usual.

Can I test 1.0.3b on 6.1.7 first? I am not sure about it... I have seen on compatibility charts that 1.0.3b is for 6.2.x but will it work with 6.1.7 for testing?

I am asking because my NAS is hidden without graphic card, monitor and it's very big to move. So I would like to be as cautious as possible...

Thanks

16 answers to this question

4 hours ago, raultaboraz said:

Very silly question really

not really, but you did not give much information

1.02b has 3 types of the loader 3615/3617/916+

when you want to use 1.03b it will be narrowed down to 3615/3617

bur still nothing about what hardware is used but 6.1 already hat the storage limitations that also go for 6.2 (network drivers usually are no problem)

7 hours ago, raultaboraz said:

So I would like to be as cautious as possible.

if you want to test risk free you would create a new usb with 1.03b (preferably with latest drivers, see below)

disconnect all disks and connect only one empty disk for a test installation, install the latest version 6.2.2, if that works you can put that stick aside (single test hdd is not need anymore), get your old usb up with all the disks, update with the gui to 6.2.2 - it will prepare the installation and reboot and it will fail on reboot as the usb loader does not match (anymore), now use your prepared 1.03b loader and the system should be continue with updating to 6.2.2

also read about the new drivers for 6.2.2, i'd suggest to prepare the 1.03b usb with the new driver pack (2nd half about 3615/17)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

• Like 1

if you want to test risk free you would create a new usb with 1.03b (preferably with latest drivers, see below)
disconnect all disks and connect only one empty disk for a test installation, install the latest version 6.2.2, if that works you can put that stick aside (single test hdd is not need anymore), get your old usb up with all the disks, update with the gui to 6.2.2 - it will prepare the installation and reboot and it will fail on reboot as the usb loader does not match (anymore), now use your prepared 1.03b loader and the system should be continue with updating to 6.2.2

also read about the new drivers for 6.2.2, i'd suggest to prepare the 1.03b usb with the new driver pack (2nd half about 3615/17)
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

Hello, thanks for update... I have bricked it.
I updated to 6.2 perfectly and everything was ok. I tried to update to 6.2.1 and everything went bad. I have lost access it does not boot anymore.
Maybe I will update pendrive with those drivers like you said...

I have installed a graphic card like I did some years ago, but I can't see anything. My PC/NAS it's like dead, no beeps, no screen, no boot. I can't recover it. Everything is running, lights, hard disks, but I can't see anything on screen.

I guess power supply dies while we was updating. I will try to try another one. I have reset CMOS but my PC/NAS seems to be death at all. It's very strange that just after rebooting to 6.2.1 everything went wrong.

I know that this is not hardware forum, but maybe you have any ideas about what happened here?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, raultaboraz said:

@Oleginhttp://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-ep35-ds4_21/#sp

LGA775 Chipset

North Bridge: Intel® P35 Express Chipset

South Bridge: Intel® ICH9R

Realtek 8111B (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Audio ALC889A de 8 canales

I have the same mb and cpu running  DSM 6.1.7-15284 with 1.03b loader and never succeed to update to 6.2 (my mobo is actually ep35 ds3).  and have stable working nas. So I stick to 6.1.7.

50 minutes ago, smilenkovski said:

Hi @smilenkovski I confirm that another very similar motherboard to ours GA-EP35-DS3 http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-ep35-ds3_21#kf works perfectly with 6.2.2 latest. I have used Juns loader 1.0.3b + extra.lzma + zImage.lzma + rd.gz mods commented on post above

I just take off my HDDs + pendrive from my hardware broken NAS and I have putted into new PC (hackintosh) just for testing... So, it works, maybe I will recycle this one for NAS purposes.

Thanks

3 hours ago, smilenkovski said:

Thanks for the info. I thought that limitations for update come from cpu gen. (q6600)

just for your info:

my NEW NAS (recycled computer) is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 + CPU Q9400 + 8GB 800 Mhz. is working perfectly with 6.2.2 latest

my latest NAS (broken computer) is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 + CPU Q6600 + 8GB 800 Mhz. was working perfectly with 6.1.7 latest but I didn't have a chance to test it with 6.2.2 because it stops working while migration...

Good luck!

9 hours ago, smilenkovski said:

Thanks for the info. I thought that limitations for update come from cpu gen. (q6600)

no, you can read about it here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

on 918+ its a little different as it needs a intel 4th gen haswell cpu, 3615/17 is still the same as before

6 hours ago, raultaboraz said:

my latest NAS (broken computer) is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 + CPU Q6600 + 8GB 800 Mhz. was working perfectly with 6.1.7 latest but I didn't have a chance to test it with 6.2.2 because it stops working while migration...

i tested the 3615/17 with a q6600 as it was one of the test systems i had at hand

whatever is causing problems, its not the cpu,the only reliable method is a serial console as dsm switches to this right when it starts booting

11 hours ago, raultaboraz said:

I guess power supply dies while we was updating. I will try to try another one. I have reset CMOS but my PC/NAS seems to be death at all. It's very strange that just after rebooting to 6.2.1 everything went wrong.

i guess because of the driver changes, in that version, after going above 6.2.0 you had the driver conflict i mentioned above and the only way to solve this is the new driver pack, as its compiled for this version

but it should work when you use the new driver with then 6.2.2 zImage and rd.gz, you boot from usb and the synology assistant should find your system in network (if 6.2.1 is installed on disk and 6.2.2 on the loader it will not boot up, it will wait as when installing a new system to be provided with the 6.2.2 *.pat file for installing)

30 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no, you can read about it here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

on 918+ its a little different as it needs a intel 4th gen haswell cpu, 3615/17 is still the same as before

i tested the 3615/17 with a q6600 as it was one of the test systems i had at hand

whatever is causing problems, its not the cpu,the only reliable method is a serial console as dsm switches to this right when it starts booting

i guess because of the driver changes, in that version, after going above 6.2.0 you had the driver conflict i mentioned above and the only way to solve this is the new driver pack, as its compiled for this version

but it should work when you use the new driver with then 6.2.2 zImage and rd.gz, you boot from usb and the synology assistant should find your system in network (if 6.2.1 is installed on disk and 6.2.2 on the loader it will not boot up, it will wait as when installing a new system to be provided with the 6.2.2 *.pat file for installing)

Thank you for your explanations. It really was double mistake 1st) Drivers were not updated like you said. 2nd) The GFX card I tried was broken, I didn't see anything so I thought my PC was broken. In the middle time the Power Supply stopped working as well, so I needed to change it again... So my 6.2.2 has been a total disaster :-)

Anyway I have a question, why v1.0.3b is not including new drivers? It doesn't have sense to me adding them manually

Thank you all

20 minutes ago, raultaboraz said:

So my 6.2.2 has been a total disaster

its a disaster if it breaks your raid (can easily happen when just cutting power or having psu problems) - did happen to me last weekend but data recovery is kind of a hobby horse ... (and i have a backup too)

22 minutes ago, raultaboraz said:

Anyway I have a question, why v1.0.3b is not including new drivers? It doesn't have sense to me adding them manually

as jun created the loader there was just dsm 6.2.0 and later on (a update version of 6.2.1?) synology introduced a change in the way the kernel is compiled, breaking the compatibility with most "old" drivers - not synology's concern, they deliver drivers for the hardware they sell inside dsm but a problem for xpenology users as in most cases that meant fallback to drivers that are not affected (very few) or drivers that where delivered by dsm (native drivers)

for legal reasons i only provide drivers that are made from open source, not a loader that contains files (IP) from synology (like the kernel from DSM *,pat file zImage, rd.gz)

anyone can stick out his/her neck, combine loader, new extra.lzma and new zImage/rd.gz and offer it as complete loader for download, i have no copyright on this stuff and as long as its labeled with the version of the extra.lzma it contains i would not complain (i don't need my name attached to this) - beside this i guess jun would like to see it marked when its a loader that has been changed in any way, he should not be held responsible for my mistakes or assumptions (same as i dont feel responsible for that 1019+ image/loader containing my 918+ driver pack, not tested not my doing)

56 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

its a disaster if it breaks your raid (can easily happen when just cutting power or having psu problems) - did happen to me last weekend but data recovery is kind of a hobby horse ... (and i have a backup too)

as jun created the loader there was just dsm 6.2.0 and later on (a update version of 6.2.1?) synology introduced a change in the way the kernel is compiled, breaking the compatibility with most "old" drivers - not synology's concern, they deliver drivers for the hardware they sell inside dsm but a problem for xpenology users as in most cases that meant fallback to drivers that are not affected (very few) or drivers that where delivered by dsm (native drivers)

for legal reasons i only provide drivers that are made from open source, not a loader that contains files (IP) from synology (like the kernel from DSM *,pat file zImage, rd.gz)

anyone can stick out his/her neck, combine loader, new extra.lzma and new zImage/rd.gz and offer it as complete loader for download, i have no copyright on this stuff and as long as its labeled with the version of the extra.lzma it contains i would not complain (i don't need my name attached to this) - beside this i guess jun would like to see it marked when its a loader that has been changed in any way, he should not be held responsible for my mistakes or assumptions (same as i dont feel responsible for that 1019+ image/loader containing my 918+ driver pack, not tested not my doing)

thank you very much for explanations. If can I make a suggestion, I would say that a warning would be nice for avoiding disasters like mine ;-) I think there is any information about "missing" drivers. Thanks

43 minutes ago, raultaboraz said:

thank you very much for explanations. If can I make a suggestion, I would say that a warning would be nice for avoiding disasters like mine ;-) I think there is any information about "missing" drivers. Thanks

Here are three topics from the very prominently featured FAQs that may be considered as such a warning:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?tab=comments#comment-95507

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?tab=comments#comment-113011
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9394-installation-faq/?tab=comments#comment-81100

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1