XPEnology Community

Forgot password on DSM 6.02 / Jun's

Hi, 

I forgot my password to a xpenology 6.02 installation.

I prepared a new USB stick, edited the cfg. file and started the NAS.

I went to Synology Assistant to do a new install, since that is what I read is necessary to get back into the system.

Unfortunately, it only gives me the option to "connect" via Synology Assistent. When I try, it doesn't accept the admin user with empty password. So I guess my old installation is still there, including the forgotten password.

Reading on the forums, I got the impression that a new USB installation should trigger a reinstall upon which I can rebuild my old HDD configuration and get access to my data on the NAS.

Where did I go wrong?

Many thanks

16 hours ago, Kulla said:

When I chose "Reinstall" from the Bootloader menu, I get the following screen upon accessing synology assistant:

my guess would be by using a new usb you changed something (like extra drivers missing for additional sata ports)

you should have used the usb you had already (the password ist not realted to the usb), reinstalling would have asked for migrate or reinstall and you would install the dsm version you already had installed

the password after installing (on the serial console) would be empty for the user admin and at the same time you would see a password change dialog on the web gui asking for a new password

Thanks for your reply. 

I actually tried reinstalling with the original USB stick before creating a new one. 

There too I got above message about the hard disks/ SATA not working. 

I think I added one Harddisk to the NAS after the original setup. May that be the problem? That's the only thing that changed after the original setup. 

Maybe I chose the wrong option in the bootloader menu? I don't have an AMD CPU though, so not sure where I could have gone wrong. 

Many thanks

1 minute ago, Kulla said:

Maybe I chose the wrong option in the bootloader menu? I don't have an AMD CPU though, so not sure where I could have gone wrong. 

ok, that might be different on your loader

the laoder option is named with "reinstall" in it

it forces the loader to not start dsm from disk even when present and show the synology install wizzard when connection to the web gui so you can choose to migrate or a clean (re-) install, keeping data but replacing the system

you did not give much information like what loader it was (there is mot then one for 6.0) and also no information about your hardare

I'm running xpenology on a Dell PowerEdge T20  (Intel Xeon) using Juns 1.01 and DSM 6.0.2. Had no problems with intial install but when I chose reinstall on Grub, it doesn't allow a reinstall and claims there is sth wrong with my HDD or Sata Controller. All I changed after that initial install, was to install another HDD, which was recognized without trouble. What could be the problem? Many thanks!