XPEnology Community

DS3517xs v1.03b with i7 8700 / Gigabyte H310M

ooooooh

hi all,

i try this combination:

• DS3517xs v1.03b with i7 8700 on Gigabyte H310M
  • NIC is the onboard one and i have a Intel Gigabit CT Destop NIC

DS3517xs because of the number of maximum cores, the  i7 8700 has 6Cores / 12Threads

and v1.03b for update to DSM 6.2xxxx an higher if possible.

i get to work with loader v1.02 and v1.04 , but i don't get it to work with v1.03b, why ?

After setup the USB bootstick with v1.03b, i can't find the Diskstation...

Generally modern Intel hardware should be compatible.  Since you have a CT card, try BIOS disabling your on-board LAN.

Also, Sometimes DS3617xs has problems, try DS3615xs and see if it works.  I realize you want all 12 threads to work, but you will lose very little if you turn off Hyperthreading.

11 minutes ago, flyride said:

Generally modern Intel hardware should be compatible.  Since you have a CT card, try BIOS disabling your on-board LAN.

Also, Sometimes DS3617xs has problems, try DS3615xs and see if it works.  I realize you want all 12 threads to work, but you will lose very little if you turn off Hyperthreading.

i disabeld the onboard nic and tryd ds3615xs aswell, no go.

current i use 918 which works great, but only with the real 6 cores, ht disabled.

any other suggestions ?

or is it possible to modify the 918 kernel for use more then 8 cores ?

Core support is a kernel compile parameter, and we have no ability to rebuild the Synology kernel.

Based on this additional feedback, I think your motherboard isn't actually booting in Legacy mode.  Some BIOSes are not entirely obvious in how this is done.  Sometimes you need to turn on or off a "CSM" (compatibility) mode in addition to setting the Legacy boot device type.

4 minutes ago, flyride said:

Based on this additional feedback, I think your motherboard isn't actually booting in Legacy mode.  Some BIOSes are not entirely obvious in how this is done.  Sometimes you need to turn on or off a "CSM" (compatibility) mode in addition to setting the Legacy boot device type.

the part where you also have to use the right boot device was the part a stumbled

after activation of CSM i had to save bios and reboot, go into bios to see the now 3rd usb boot device (the other two started with uefi and the the name of the boot device), than had to make the "non uefi" usb device 1st boot device and save this

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the part where you also have to use the right boot device was the part a stumbled

after activation of CSM i had to save bios and reboot, go into bios to see the now 3rd usb boot device (the other two started with uefi and the the name of the boot device), than had to make the "non uefi" usb device 1st boot device and save this

i will give this a try.

well... i try'd a lot again, nothing help'd me 😟

so i try'd a new usb stick, usv v2, micro. -> first try: it work'd !?!

but why, the three used usb sticks works all great with 918 and 3617xs 1.02b loader ... but not with 3617xs 1.03b loader THIS can't be,  or  !?!

anyway the beast is now online, great pice of SRV.

powerfull and very low energy consumption: IDLE <20w (2x2drive's, all 2.5", 2x ssd, 2x hdd) with 2 VM running an working about 28w :

3617.thumb.jpg.a8aa78ea0113dfc96651c12ae8653126.jpg

thank you both for your info's and help : IG-88 / flyride

Edited by ooooooh

• 1 year later...