XPEnology Community

Install XPEnology on QNAP TS-653 Pro

yenal

• 1 month later...
I dont get this. Those qnap boxes are expensive. If you dont want the qnap OS, why dont you get a cheaper box (like our popular HP n54l)?

Not sure about anyone else's situation, but I bought my QNAP before I had done enough research into alternatives since I had some experience with QNAP's. So I've had my QNAP for a couple of years and kinda feel like I should stick with it rather than buy a new machine. I'm now trying to do some more advanced things other than just simple file sharing & media hosting and have started running into problems inherent in QTS (QNAP's OS).

It started off with stupid stuff like QNAP's built-in SSH Server only allows the 'admin' user to login, which makes hosting git repositories tricky. I've worked around that by installing an older version of OpenSSH through ipkg, but that version doesn't use QNAP's logging system or security system, so its impossible for me to tell if my server is under attack while the ipkg OpenSSH is running.

There are also a number of security vulnerabilities which QNAP seems to have no interest in fixing despite there being patches for them available. Overall I think that the QNAP hardware is very solid (although a bit overpriced), but their support and software are garbage.

I'm going to give XPEnology a spin on a VM before I go trying to mod my QNAP though. Make sure I like it more than QTS.

Has anyone tried to see if this works?

I too would like to move to XPEnology v5 and I have a Qnap TS-459 Pro (Atom CPU).

When i create the boot image on a USB key and boot from USB on the QNAP i get an error stating its not a valid boot image?

Can anyone help please? Im sure im doing something stupid but cant find what/where!

I downloaded the boot image from xpenology.nl its version is "DSM_50-4528"

Many thanks!

I just followed the instructions on www.xpenology.nl to create my USB boot key. It used Win32DiskImager to make the boot key. Unfortunately the site is down right now. But I was able to get my TS269Pro to boot into the GRUB Bootloader and XPEnology installer. I need to get at least one additional hard drive before I plan on fully migrating to XPEnology.

I installed XPEnology on my QNAP TS-269Pro yesterday. I'm still setting everything up and restoring my files, but everything seems to be running smoothly with one very minor exception. The fan's smart-mode no longer works. The fan is stuck on 'high' which I think is controlled in the BIOS (haven't gotten a chance to play around with the BIOS too much yet). Both QTS and Synology have a feature to control the fan, but the Synology software doesn't seem compatible with the QNAP fan. I think that I can set the fan to a lower setting in the BIOS, but then it will be stuck in the 'low' setting, which might not be ideal.

I'm using the following builds:

Nano Boat 5.0.3.2 DSM 5.0-4528 X64 : http://www.xpenology.nl/xpenology-downloads/?myvar=1456

DSM 5.0-4528 : http://www.xpenology.nl/dsm-software-download/?myvar=1442

DSM 5.0-4528 Update 1 : http://www.xpenology.nl/dsm-software-download/?myvar=1546

DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2 : http://www.xpenology.nl/dsm-software-download/?myvar=1592

Note: For Update 2 make sure to follow the instructions at: http://www.xpenology.nl/synology-released-dsm-5-0-4528-update-2/

Is there a porting of Qnap OS?

Not that I know of and I'm not sure why anyone would want to port a non-QNAP machine to QTS. Their software is not well maintained and riddled with security vulnerabilities.

On Topic:

I've been playing with my TS269Pro XPEnology and I think I've noticed that XPEnology does not recognize the 2 USB 3.0 ports that are in my QNAP machine. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this with other hardware. Any suggestions?

I got a TS-259Pro+ working DSM for more than two years. From XVortex's Qnology first, Trantor's XPEnology, Gnoboot's XPEnolgy later and Nanoboot's XPEnology in the end. Worked great all of them.

On QNAP site, QNOLOGY threat was cool. Vortex (on this site) was highly skilled on QNAP boxes. He helped me quite a lot with TS-259Pro+ configuration.

HDD numeration is inverted QNAP-Synology. TS-259Pro+ only USB-2. For configuration:

for f in "/etc/synoinfo.conf" "/etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf"; do sed -i 's/esataportcfg="0x.*"/esataportcfg="0x0030"/g ; s/internalportcfg="0x.*"/internalportcfg="0x000C"/g' $f; done

Just to avoid an ugly permanent flash USB piece plugged on my box, I flashed QNOLOgy and XPEnoloy boot images on QNAP DOM.

I reverted DOM to QNAP and lent it to a friend who is used to QNAP firm.

Think I just figured out my problem. I installed the X64 build which is built from the firmware for the Synology DS3612xs (which has no USB 3.0 ports), but my QNAP TS269Pro has hardware which is closer to the Synology DS214play (and nearly exactly the same as a DS713+). I guess I will try going with the X86 build instead since it is based on the DS214play firmware. I think I stumbled across a tutorial in the Russian forum section which was talking about compiling and building XPEnology from source, so I might try creating an XPEnology firmware based on the Synology D713+.

Edit: Actually it was Andy928's tutorial for building the kernel. http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13 Not quite what I was looking for... Anyone know of any threads or articles talking about XPEnology modifications to the Synology firmware?

Edited by Guest

It's much easier.

TS269Pro has NEC D720202 USB 3.0 controller.

Synology mainly EtronTech EJ168A...

You just need the NEC D720202 compiled for XPEnology.

So I just need NEC D720202 drivers compiled with the DSM 5.0 toolchain? Not sure how I would go about doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

so i figured out why i couldnt get nanoboot to boot.

You need to go into BIOS and in Advanced Settings for USB set the PMAP to CDROM & your USB Boot key to Hard Disk.

This resovled it for me, hope this helps someone as the [XPe/S]ynology is so much superior (in my opinion) to QNAPs OS.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Did you get run XPEnology in a VM under Virtualiztion Station in QNAP? I´ve reviewed the thread but is no clear for me. I´m own a QNAP TS-453Pro also and I would like to try it.

By the way... which image should I choose to install it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards

I have a TS-451 with 8GB of Ram and I tried to get xpenology to work in Virt Station. Unfortunately it seems to kernel panic and I don't know why. I can launch xpenology from the command line on my Mac using qemu and play it in vmware fusion but just not in the qnap.

I really like Surveillance Station in DSM and wanted to run it inside QTS virt station but maybe someone else can try..