tdse13

How to set up and use a serial console

Question

I want to use a serial console with a Asutek J3455. I connect a USB to serial converter to the J3455 GND to GND, TX to RX, RX to TX. And I connect the USB port to my MacBook. In a VM I have also access to Windows 10. Serial Port on the the J3455 is enabled in Bios.

My queiston: What are the next steps to read the output? I tried with Putty and with the Mac terminal without success. Any idea? Thank you.

Edited by tdse13

9 answers to this question

50 минут назад, tdse13 сказал:

I connect a USB to serial converter to the J3455 GND to GND, TX to RX, RX to TX.

It doesn't work, you need an adapter like this.

The board does not have such a connector, only a serial port header. Do you know of an adapter for a serial port header or do I have to buy plug first?

Yes, this one I need as well. However, I checked all pins on "your" adapter and my adapter (FTDI Adapter FT232RL - see attached foto) has the same pins. Do I really need all of them? The pins wich are easily available are: RXD, TXD, DTR, GND, CTS. DCD, RTS, and RI need to be soldered. Do  I really need the last 3 Pins? Thank you. 

71iKvZ0wD2L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by tdse13

It's UART adapter, you probably don't need it. What mb do you use?

Asrock J3455-ITX

Edited by tdse13

Do not use the UART it and the com port have different voltage levels, it may burn out.

The question(s) in this topic have been answered and/or the topic author has resolved their issue. This topic is now closed. If you have other questions, please open a new topic.