XPEnology Community

SN and MAC address dont change

premikkoci

Hi,

I have a problem with SN and mac address. I successfully created bootable USB stick with rufus osfmount (i changed VID, PID, SN, MAC using Notepad++), installed DSM etc. But the system shows default synoboot.img (1.04b) SN and MAC like no changes were made and saved. I use a real synology SN and my own MAC address.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem? I am total noob.

Edited by premikkoci

On 1/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, premikkoci said:

Hi,

I have a problem with SN and mac address. I successfully created bootable USB stick with rufus osfmount (i changed VID, PID, SN, MAC using Notepad++), installed DSM etc. But the system shows default synoboot.img (1.04b) SN and MAC like no changes were made and saved. I use a real synology SN and my own MAC address.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem? I am total noob.

Make sure you save the changes to the grub.cfg file in synoboot.img before dismount, otherwise no changes will be made. In regards of the MAC adress it needs to be for the NIC of the motherboard you are using.

Thanks for your advice. I am sure I saved changes to the grub.cfg (synoboot is placed in C/918/). I was able to change SN and MAC in gnu grub menu. My MB is asrock j4105 with one NIC and i am trying to enable hw transcoding. In this case should i use MBs mac address or synology's addresses (918+ have 2 macs)?

Thanks for any reply

3 hours ago, premikkoci said:

Thanks for your advice. I am sure I saved changes to the grub.cfg (synoboot is placed in C/918/). I was able to change SN and MAC in gnu grub menu. My MB is asrock j4105 with one NIC and i am trying to enable hw transcoding. In this case should i use MBs mac address or synology's addresses (918+ have 2 macs)?

Thanks for any reply

You need to save the changes while the synoboot.img i mounted, otherwise all changes you have done will be lost. In regards of the network you need to use the MAC adress for your Motherboards NIC otherwise network won´t work.

17 hours ago, TheGr33nG0blin said:

Make sure you save the changes to the grub.cfg file in synoboot.img before dismount, otherwise no changes will be made. In regards of the MAC adress it needs to be for the NIC of the motherboard you are using.

It is actually not necessary to use your hardware MAC address. In my case I use a legit SN and MAC of a real 918+ and works just fine.