XPEnology Community

Upgrade or Clean install ?

davew

Hey folks, 

Hoping for some help, Currently running on a Hp N54L with DSM 5.0-4493 Update 7 ( she's a real old girl) Appears Plex Media server are making some changes, and I could do with keeping up with the builds. however as im on such an old version, well i cant. 

So, i'm stuck wondering whats easier, try and find an update path to get to 6.2. or just start with a clean setup on 6.2 and redeploy apps and shares etc. 

Any advice, would be great, it's been years since i've had to look at this box :( 

• 2 weeks later...

I am kinda in the same boat as you - I have an old N54L (which still runs great for it's age) but I have ESXi 5.5 and I am running DSM 4.2 (really old!!) but now Plex needs a later server version than the one on 4.2.

But I don't even know if 6.1 or 6.2 can be installed as an ESXi 5.5 VM.

I'd love to keep the data but unsure if it's possible when upgrading from such an old version.  Let's hope someone can help us!

Edited by Timbo
  • Like 1

@davew Getting 6.2.x to run can be a bit tricky, as the builtin nic will stop working at the 6.2.2(?)level, from there you will need a new nic.

Currently, you may be using xpenoboot/nanoboot(?) and will need a new bootloader to move to DSM 6.x.

In theory, you could do a "migration", where DSM will thing you are moving your drives from an older system.

Due to the different bootloaders, that might cause some "glitches", and some of you apps, may or may not need to be upgraded/reinstalled anyways.

If you backup your settings, you might be able to restore most of them, but unless you have a complex system, 

a fresh start would be the easiest way to go.

hints: Juns 1.02b / DSM6.1

• Like 1

@Timbo Ohhh, good question .. The only way to be sure, is to make a backup before sh*t hits the fan ;-)

On my ESXi, I have only done clean installs, and minor updates with DSM 5/6, not any upgrades between major versions.

I have not used 4.x in ESXi, but I did use 4.3 (Trantor) way back in time on baremetal N54L. 

Going to 5.x, I did it the safe way, first getting another N54L, doing a clean install with 5.x, before using that one as a backup.

Then, I used a fresh USB to install 5.x on the 1.st box, keeping the data and resetting the rest (as I recall).

Those 2 servers are still on 5.2.x, as they are just beeing used as storage.

On my 3. N54L, I started with 5.2, and followed this tutorial to get to 6.1.x, where it will stay.

I think  i'll flatten it, and try and bring it up as 6.1  I order the recommended Intel nic a few or two back, so it's sitting here waiting to go .. 

I'm also half thinking about just putting proxmox on there, as the Xpenology OS doesnt really add much value. especially given im thinking of setting up a dedicated plex server on a I7 Nuc. Thats the main reason for the upgrade as mentioned already ..  

It's a real shame the N54L's dont have a clear upgrade path defined, 8Gigs of memory is poor not to mention the dated CPU etc.  If i could pick up a new MOBO CPU etc  i'll re use the case tho .. 

5 hours ago, bearcat said:

30 minutes ago, davew said:

It's a real shame the N54L's dont have a clear upgrade path defined

do you mean 6.2.2 not usable with internal nic (thats old info now, there is driver support since mid. december)

or that you will have to update that way 5.0 -> 5.2 -> 6.2.2

maybe just throw 5.0 in the bin and overwrite directly with 6.2.2 (fresh install), your raid with your data will not be effected, you will have to redo settings and plugins that way and will miss the benefit of btrfs that way but you can always offload all data and format your raid with btrfs later

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

and for 6.2.2 (internal broadcom nic supported, lower half for 3615/17)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

do you mean 6.2.2 not usable with internal nic (thats old info now, there is driver support since mid. december)

or that you will have to update that way 5.0 -> 5.2 -> 6.2.2

maybe just throw 5.0 in the bin and overwrite directly with 6.2.2 (fresh install), your raid with your data will not be effected, you will have to redo settings and plugins that way and will miss the benefit of btrfs that way but you can always offload all data and format your raid with btrfs later

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

and for 6.2.2 (internal broadcom nic supported, lower half for 3615/17)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

I really mean an upgrade path RE: Hardware !  Raid isnt really a runner, it's Raid 0 since Drive ( I dont keep must in the way of "data" on there) But plex max's out at 720p I find. 

I might give it a shot, backup the config on said apps and follow the guide above .. 

Half wished I'd know the Intel nice was no longer required ... but sure i always have one to spare now anyway :D 

24 minutes ago, davew said:

I really mean an upgrade path RE: Hardware

as long as the sata controller supports ahci and the uefi bios has csm mode (or is just has a classic bios) your installation will run on any system, the nic of most systems will work with dsm 6.2.2 and the latest driver package for 3615/17

you take your disk(s) and usb he the new system an boot up and thats it (i'd prefer to test it before doing it by usinf a fresh usb with the same loader and dsm version as the real system and install to any old empty disk, if that work it should work with the real system too)

12 hours ago, davew said:

It's a real shame the N54L's dont have a clear upgrade path defined, 8Gigs of memory is poor not to mention the dated CPU etc. 

Actually, it can use 16GB of the "correct" type, I use that in one of mine that is beeing used for various taskes.

For a "storage only" NAS, based on the G7 series, even 4GB is allmost "overkill".

But if you use it for Plex, and need CPU based transcoding, well...then there are better choices as you have noticed ;-)

When I was getting my first demonstration of the G7 (N36L) when it came out, I "fell in love" :-D

Back in 2010 (?) this small package came with a big usefullness, and when it later on was getting updated to the N40L and the N54L

the size and handiness was perfect for small offices and home usage.

If I recall correct, the first N54L I was buying for my self, (2014?)

came with 4GB RAM and a 250GB drive, for a price of about $150,- USD That was Bang for the Bucks!

Now, even if it's dated, it plays a nice role for my usage, 5*4TB WD Red + SSD readcache, as (among other things) datastorage for my ESXi host.

As mentioned above, ther is now driversupport for the internal nic if you go DSM 6.2.x, but it can be "tricky" as you have to "patch" the USB stick.

And who knows if Synology relase another update that breaks the system, as when going from 6.2 to 6.2.2?

If you stay with DSM 6.1.x, it's more of a "plug and play", no need for extra drivers and to me it feels more "bullet-proof" :-) 

as I think it will only get security updates and no bigger changes, due to the age.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bearcat said:

If you stay with DSM 6.1.x, it's more of a "plug and play", no need for extra drivers and to me it feels more "bullet-proof" :-) 

as I think it will only get security updates and no bigger changes, due to the age.

that depends on the update option you select in the gui, you can accidentally update to 6.2.2 and have fun (at least now you get drivers for the broadcom nic)

i remember a case where a friend wanted to help and thought newer is better and (semi) bricked the microserver (no network) and after this it needed a downgrade (that can be complicated too when you where never interested in how all the dsm stuff works or you might have bought the unit with xpenology pre-installed)

• Like 1

@IG-88 That is so true, good you mentioned it, as I had "blocked" out that situation from the top of my head.

I was setting up a N54L for a friend of mine, that he is using as an "off-site backup", and I had forgotten to adjust that "minor" part.

By request from him, I installed TeamViever on the box, making it easier for him to do remote work.

One day, he found that there was an update available, and he thought, the newer the better ;-)

(even if I had told him to talk with me, or check here before doing any updates/upgrades)

So, he ended up with the unwanted 6.2.x, and he lost connection...

His box is located 3hr's drive away, at his leisure home in the mountains....

The easy way out of it, was to find a compatible Intel nic, that he installed the next weekend, and was back online :-)

image.png.eb84fbe33ebc3f6adcadc85eff1c5f32.png

On 1/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, bearcat said:

@Timbo Ohhh, good question .. The only way to be sure, is to make a backup before sh*t hits the fan ;-)

On my ESXi, I have only done clean installs, and minor updates with DSM 5/6, not any upgrades between major versions.

I'll try a fresh install in that case - are there any step by step instructions for an ESXi install rather than a baremetal? for 6.1.7 on a N54L?

• 2 weeks later...