XPEnology Community

SAS disks on HP microserver 8 DS3615xs?

Jamzor

Hi,

I have a HP microserver 8 with a H222 LSI card and now first time I try SAS drives.

But DSM just says failing on them both even though they had been smart checked extensivly before sold to me. So I think something else is wrong.

Should SAS drives work in my scenario?

Drives are

HGST HUS723030ALS640 3TB 7.2K SAS 6Gb/s 3.5'' HDD

Thanks

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

whats the external enclosure for sas drives?

what does the s.m.a.r.t. values show

in case of cable problems it should be different from a drive about to fail or having read/write problems

Hi,

Theres no external clouse. The HP Microserver 8 backplane should take SAS drives directly as I understood it. And they fit fine also.

21 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

Hi,

Theres no external clouse. The HP Microserver 8 backplane should take SAS drives directly as I understood it. And they fit fine also.

Yeah its a little strange but I ask on forum before I bought the SAS drives, they said it should work in microserver 8.

SMART doesnt say anything other then failing. I do quick smart test it says failing. I did extended smart test it just says failing. Gives me no smart values or anything. The only thing I see is little info on the drive saying "bad blocks 0".

Im thinking something else is wrong.
Either HP222 HBA card is not working with SAS, or it has old drivers or something.
Or Xpenology 3615xs doesnt accept SASdrives, because I know synology original does not in this series.

Or something is wrong in my ESXi. I run DSM virtualised on ESXi. But all I did there was passthrough the PCI device so I dont know what would be wrong..

20 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

does s.m.a.r.t. work for sata drives that way, i remember there whee problems with smart and esxi vt-d pass through

you might sear ch the forum for this

you could boot your system from usb with a recovery linux and check smart of that disk

Yes I have 2 other servers with xpenology and LSI HBA cards with attached WD Red SATA disks. SMart works flawless in xpenology with this.

1 minute ago, chane_g said:

I have used some time SAS disks with H222 in Microserver G8. It has works good and only issue it can't show SMART of disks in DSM. So it little strange that DSM reports your disks will fail soon.

It cant show SMART? What...
Thats the only reason I bought the H222 controller. So I could passthrough disks directly and have it show SMART reports and make constant smart checks...
Why cant it show smart value you think? Its because of SAS drives or because maybe the specific drives you have dont support SMART ?
Can you still put schedueled checks to see if a drive is failing/bad sectors?

21 минуту назад, Jamzor сказал:

It cant show SMART? What...
Thats the only reason I bought the H222 controller. So I could passthrough disks directly and have it show SMART reports and make constant smart checks...
Why cant it show smart value you think? Its because of SAS drives or because maybe the specific drives you have dont support SMART ?
Can you still put schedueled checks to see if a drive is failing/bad sectors?

Yes, you can run those scheduled checks. But in DSM, it will be blank page with SMART results. 

As i read somewhere, it's problem of driver or DSM. It can't get data somehow. Also it all tested on 6.1.7 version of DSM.

Now i'm using 4 SATA disks and without any HBA. Works flawlessly.