XPEnology Community

Controlling fan speed

TheGr33nG0blin

Question

3 answers to this question

That is wholly dependent upon your hardware.  The Synology fan control software interfaces via serial hardware that is not in a regular motherboard.

Your motherboard may integrally support a fan profile which responds to internal temp sensors and/or system utilization to control fans.  It also may have a "high/medium/low" setting that is fixed (which would solve your noise problem).  This is probably the simplest solution, and that case, XPEnology has nothing to do with it.

There are a number of online examples of more sophisticated, NAS-specific hacks to directly control fan interfaces such as on Supermicro motherboards.  This approach would be dependent upon the fan hardware interface in your specific motherboard.  At one time, I wrote up something that ran as a Linux daemon so that it could monitor drive temperatures and respond to that more aggressively than the hardware profile.  But in the end, there wasn't enough of a measured difference to matter, at least in my climate.

1 hour ago, flyride said:

That is wholly dependent upon your hardware.  The Synology fan control software interfaces via serial hardware that is not in a regular motherboard.

Your motherboard may integrally support a fan profile which responds to internal temp sensors and/or system utilization to control fans.  It also may have a "high/medium/low" setting that is fixed (which would solve your noise problem).  This is probably the simplest solution, and that case, XPEnology has nothing to do with it.

There are a number of online examples of more sophisticated, NAS-specific hacks to directly control fan interfaces such as on Supermicro motherboards.  This approach would be dependent upon the fan hardware interface in your specific motherboard.  At one time, I wrote up something that ran as a Linux daemon so that it could monitor drive temperatures and respond to that more aggressively than the hardware profile.  But in the end, there wasn't enough of a measured difference to matter, at least in my climate.

Thanks for the answer. I guess i've just to do another test run, but this time with a Ryzen systemet. i do belive my AsRock x470 taichi motherboard should solve the fan speed problem. As the fans can be controlled by either cpu or motherboard.