XPEnology Community

Dell R520

refrivera

i'd say use 3617, the controller is a normal 9211 clone and if has IT firmware it should work ootb

try loader 1.03b (no extra drivers) with "DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat"

you can try to boot a live/rescue linux to see if the controller and disks are working in general

49 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

@IG-88 Can DS3615xs be used with his hardware?

yes

but as i did not know of the processor (and that server has also 2 sockets) the 3617 is a safer choice as it supports 8cores with HT or 16 without HT, its only half of that for the 3615

so it depends on the cpu, if it its a smaller build then 3615 can also be used (the perc h310 in it mode would use the normal mpt2sas driver)

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

A word of caution here. DS3617xs has some issues which have been documented over and over again in the forum. Issues might arise randomly in a week, a month or a year. It's easily fixable yet problematic as you have a sword over your head.

did i miss something?

14 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

Yes but as i did not know of the processor (and that server has also 2 sockets) the 3617 is a safer choice as it supports 8cores with HT or 16 without HT, its only half of that for the 3615. so it depends on the cpu, if it its a smaller build then 3615 can also be used (the perc h310 in it mode would use the normal mpt2sas driver)

Good call on the CPU.

14 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

did i miss something?

DS3617xs always had some issues where the GUI stops working at some point due to some shared libraries having some invalid ELF header. I am not sure why this happens but I have not seen this happen on DS3615xs. It's not a drama as it is possible to fix this rather easily. The libraries in question are libsynopkg.so.1 and libsynoshare.so.6. It's just a matter of replacing them with those from the PAT file.

For reference: 

27 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

but as i did not know of the processor (and that server has also 2 sockets) the 3617 is a safer choice as it supports 8cores with HT or 16 without HT, its only half of that for the 3615

so it depends on the cpu, if it its a smaller build then 3615 can also be used (the perc h310 in it mode would use the normal mpt2sas driver)

Are you sure about that?  I don't think there is a kernel thread support difference between the two platforms.

10 hours ago, flyride said:

Are you sure about that?  I don't think there is a kernel thread support difference between the two platforms.

synology has a kernel config for every processor platform and you can look in the .config how cpu is configured
(if you look into there developer guide, it still say 6.0 but it still valid, then you can see how there build process for DSM works and kernel configs are per cpu plattform)

this is taken directly from the .config files:

apollolake (918+)
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8

bromolow (3615)
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8

broadwell (3617)
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=16

if there is HT in the cpu (and its active) then you need to double the cpu cores in your unit when counting the cores
if you have more then 8 cpu cores , like 12 or 16, then you will get out the most when disable HT and just use the amount of real cpu cores you have, like 2 x 8core xeon than disable HT and use all 16 cores - well that only works for 3617 because of the kernel settings
at least this is how i read and understand it

Edited by IG-88

Interesting.  In these past few years, it seems that we would have had an empirical example of someone specifically hitting the 8 thread limit, however.

Is there anyone out there that can attest to using more than 8 threads (or cores, for that matter) on a platform other than DS3617?

• 1 month later...