XPEnology Community

Registering my Xpenology Serial number on Synology

bushyphil

Question

Hi all,

Ive recently managed to get my old Dell XPS8500 turned into a super power NAS. Ive used a Serial number from the Xpenology generator and it works well except I can't register the product on Synology which means I can't use things like email notification, register extra IP Camera licenses, use DS Cam to send notification and so on.

Ive tried a few serial numbers on Synology website and none seem to work, comes up invalid number. Ive had 3 Synology NAS drives in the past 3 years (gone from DS416play to RS818 and also have the more portable EDS14) and they all start 17********* on the serial number and the Xpenology ones start with 11,13 and 14******** so seem to be outdated maybe?

Anyone else had the same troubles as this kinda defeats the purpose of having an old hacked PC turned into a cheap NAS, the last thing I want to do is pay for a new NAS so be really useful to see if I can get this fixed as im sure im not the only one that's had this issue?

Thanks in advance

Phil 😁

• Angry 1

3 answers to this question

You should read the FAQs in this forum. Registering a non-genuine serial / NAS and trying to use exclusive Synology features is a violation of Synology‘s terms. It harms the XPenology community project. If you want more than simply using DSM and it‘s „free“ core features you should buy a real NAS - that simple.