XPEnology Community

Change main disk

dmjita

I own a nl54 with the following configuration. 1 disk 250gb (main disk) 2,3,4 disk 3TB WD red as raid 5 volume. I want to change the primary disk (i have to install a bigger disk) where i have installed the DSM. At the moment is running dsm5.0 4493 update 3. any hint to change the disk avoiding reconfiguration or data loss?

Do you have a separate volume created on first disk. like volume1? Move everything (shares, apps) from it to volume2 (RAID).

After that you can remove your first disk and replace with larger one. New, large disk you can add to the existing RAID and expand.

Backup before you do anything.

When i installed the hp microserver i used the original 250gb hard disk as primary disk where i installed the dsm. When i was sure everything was working good i ordered 3 x3tb wd red to make my raid 5 volume, so now i have 2 volume, simple volume and raid 5 volume, i want to change the 250gb disk with a spare 2 tb disk i have ( i use primary disk as destination disk for download station). If i remove the 250gb i have to reinstall everything?

If i remove the 250gb i have to reinstall everything?

Apps that installed on your volume1, you will have to reinstall unless you manage to move them to volume2 before replacing disk. Files and apps installed on your RAID (volume2) should stay.

i have no problem to reinstall the apps. but what about the dsm? i think i read somehwere that the DSM is installed on every volume, is that true? So in my scenario when i will remove the volume 1 (250gb hd) i will lose the apps but the synology will still be accessible by web browser?

i have no problem to reinstall the apps. but what about the dsm? i think i read somehwere that the DSM is installed on every volume, is that true? So in my scenario when i will remove the volume 1 (250gb hd) i will lose the apps but the synology will still be accessible by web browser?

It should detect existing RAID and DSM, but may require configuration. I would move one the RAID drives to first drive slot to make sure.