XPEnology Community

USB and win32disk imager in w10 and win8

zuwarrior

Question

Hi,

Today i've tried to install xpenology , finally I did it, but with lot of suffering. Everytime I tried to copy the synoboot to a USB i falied.

I was doing it in windows 10. All i got was this:

26afa616b54e71b170a94370ee0ee7b3o.jpg

After hours of trying different ports , different usb units, usb 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, i installed win8 on a second pc, and finally it worked.

1dI8Y66.png

What is really weird is the same usb in win8 shows grub.cfg and all the correct files, but connected to w10 pc, the files change to extra extra2...

Any solution to this?

5 answers to this question

6 hours ago, zuwarrior said:

What is really weird is the same usb in win8 shows grub.cfg and all the correct files, but connected to w10 pc, the files change to extra extra2...

Any solution to this?

if you read the tutorial, there is osfmount used to alter the grub.cfg

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

the image for usb has more then one partition in it, 1st contains grub.cfg, 2nd contains extra.lzma and kernel files for dsm

win10 was also able to show the 1st parttion until creators update, atm win10 only mount the  2nd partition

if you really have to you can read the usb with "Win32DiskImager 1.0" (set the option "read only allocated partitions") into a image file, use osfmount to alter it and then write it again to usb

its also possible to use linux to mount and write the data an the usb, its just win10 behaving that way linux has nothing to complain about the file system on the 1st partition

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zuwarrior said:

it could work well as a bootable usb after editing with osfmount the grub file with osfmount method?

1st partition will still not work with win10 but you can edit the 1st partition that way (usb -> image-file -> osfmount -> modded image file -> usb)

• Thanks 1