XPEnology Community

I set up an Xpenology system a while back with their SHR solution and BTRFS, with six mostly mismatched-sized drives into one volume. So one drive is a parity drive. Every now and then I get checksum mismatch errors, which sucks because I built this primarily to have a robust and semi-reliable backup solution in parallel with a cloud backup solution. I'm on the latest DSM with Jun's loader.

Googling has found no solutions - before I give up and plan my next move, any advice on things to look into? A few thoughts I have:

-check hdd for bad sectors / issues (any bootable tools you guys recommend?)

-check RAM for issues (Memtest86)

While typing this I also realized I have not done "data scrubbing" in 4 months - is this something that can repair files that have been identified as having checksum errors?

45 minutes ago, CiViCKiDD said:

I set up an Xpenology system a while back with their SHR solution and BTRFS, with six mostly mismatched-sized drives into one volume. So one drive is a parity drive. Every now and then I get checksum mismatch errors, which sucks because I built this primarily to have a robust and semi-reliable backup solution in parallel with a cloud backup solution. I'm on the latest DSM with Jun's loader.

Googling has found no solutions - before I give up and plan my next move, any advice on things to look into? A few thoughts I have:

-check hdd for bad sectors / issues (any bootable tools you guys recommend?)

-check RAM for issues (Memtest86)

While typing this I also realized I have not done "data scrubbing" in 4 months - is this something that can repair files that have been identified as having checksum errors?

You're looking at this the wrong way - with another system that was not using btrfs, you would not know when your files had bit-level errors as there would be no checksum.  This is the dirty reality of the storage industry - spinning disk drives encounter a statistically measurable number of write errors that are never noticed in standard, non-redundant applications.

btrfs scrubbing allows the system to use the redundancy of the RAID array to correct the errors detected by checksum.  So do that; your system is working as designed.

Also, you don't have "one parity drive."  With MDRAID, parity is spread across all the drives.  I realize this is somewhat semantic, but I see people describe the system this way on a regular basis,  potentially leading to loss of data if the wrong decision is made.

48 minutes ago, CiViCKiDD said:

Every now and then I get checksum mismatch errors,

where do you see this errors?

did you check files in /var/log/ ?

you should also check the s.m.a.r.t. values of every disk

this are values i look for:

Read Error Rate, should be low

Reallocated Sectors Count, should be 0, anything else is alarming (at least for me)

UltraDMA CRC Error Count, should be low, can be a indicator for connection or cable problems

2 minutes ago, flyride said:

Also, you don't have "one parity drive."  With MDRAID, parity is spread across all the drives.  I realize this is somewhat semantic, but I see people describe the system this way on a regular basis,  potentially leading to loss of data if the wrong decision is made.

i guess thats because its the easy way to count the amount of usable storage in a SHR1 scenario, add all drives size and reduce it by the biggest drive (for parity information), works but does not even remotely reflect the complexity of the real raid/lvm structure in a SHR szenario

not just that the parity is spread inside a raid set, also there is more then one raid set and those raid sets are then glued together by lvm