XPEnology Community

New build

Dvalin21

Hello everyone just had a question as I'm getting ready to put my build together. How many cores do you suggest the CPU to be? I'm seeing Xeon 8 core processors for 30 bucks on the internet but doesn't mean I need all data just to run data and a little bit of streaming. Also, ECC or Non ECC which is the better option? I will more likely stick with the Xeon series of CPU and any MB suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

PS: What does Evey think of the raspberry pie being used as a nas?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

DSM can use a maximum of 16 threads due to kernel limitation.  That means 8 cores + hyperthreading, or 16 cores with hyperthreading disabled.

That said, only the very largest Synology systems have 8+ cores (only the FS series).  So you will have plenty of horsepower, even with 4 cores.

(EDIT: this is not entirely correct, it depends on DSM platform, see here for current information)

If you have the option, ECC is always better than non-ECC for a data-intensive application, as the memory system will correct single-bit errors in real-time and not crash the system, and will detect multi-bit errors and halt rather than propagate bad data.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

DSM can use a maximum of 16 threads due to kernel limitation.  That means 8 cores + hyperthreading, or 16 cores with hyperthreading disabled.
That said, only the very largest Synology systems have 8+ cores (only the FS series).  So you will have plenty of horsepower, even with 4 cores.

If you have the option, ECC is always better than non-ECC for a data-intensive application, as the memory system will correct single-bit errors in real-time and not crash the system, and will detect multi-bit errors and halt rather than propagate bad data.
Thanks for the response it was very helpful. But just to be clear, 8 core is probably over doing just for average home use? And just for curiosity, what would I use 8/16 with HT be used for? Thanks

8 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

, 8 core is probably over doing just for average home use?

yes, also to consider is the power consumption and heat is produces (often equals noise level)

having a system wasting 60 watt, 24h, 7days a week for years ...

also xeon mainboards are often more expansive and ecc ram also adds to that

8 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

And just for curiosity, what would I use 8/16 with HT be used for

beside virtualization as with VMM there is also docker, that seems to used a lot lately instead of synology specific packages, but in most cases more ram is far better then more cpu cores (there might be some cases where 4 cores is not enough when having multi user streaming with transcoding and lots o home automation vm's in background)

just as file server and some streaming (without transcoding or using hardware support for transcoding) even a 2 core system can do it

i've seen it be used as webserver for a online shop or lately one user had a 16 SSD's with a 40BGit nic hardware (i didn't wanted to be nosy so i did not ask what he wanted to do with it)

i guess in most cases 4 cores of a 8 core system (in home use) are there just to make sure the owner has a better sleep, as long he is not concerned about global warming :-)))

19 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

think of the raspberry pie being used as a nas?

to small, to slow

(i'm using a 12 disk system with 10G network)

19 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

/DS3615xs.pat/DSM 6.1.4/15217/Jun Loader (So much better than FREENAS)

why? what about open media vault?

• Like 1

kind of reference to freenas from your footnote, there are other "free" nas systems, some are not such a closed source appliance as DSM is

https://www.openmediavault.org

its a real open source one (so not that much driver problems) and the gui is good too

still my fall back plan when DSM fails or i cant use DSM anymore

• Like 1

So i looked up what CPU I had in my unit, and it was the XEON E3-1220v2 which comes to find out has no HT.  Im thinking of upgrading to the XEON E3-1270v2 that has the HT and the watts (69) are the same.  I wont have to change the PSU.  Im looking to upgrade what I have which is looking more and more promising than just building from scratch.  The only other problem is that I need get a sata pcie adapter and I should be good to go.  I dont have a cdrom in the tower so I use the space for HDD.  At the end of the day I will only be able to fit 3 HDD into the tower without issue.  This should allow me to take advantage of all lvls of raid. Let me know what you think about this?  Also one last question, transcoding, this is done in the cpu correct? THanks.

I wouldn't bother with that CPU upgrade.  Your current CPU is fine, I don't think you would be able to tell any difference.  Cores are more important than hyperthreading.

In regard to transcoding, the word simply refers to the action of transforming an audio/video stream from one output format to another.  "Hardware" transcoding on Synology means that the transcoding software is leveraging Intel Quicksync instructions on the CPU, far faster than "software" transcoding which is just a program on the system (in most cases, FFMPEG).

Software transcoding requires a lot of CPU, usually more than is available on Synology or XPenology systems.  So many folks wants hardware transcoding so that they can watch their stored media in real-time on a variety of output devices without storing multiple copies.  Video cards also perform hardware transcoding, but this is not supported at all in the DSM ecosystem.

All that said... your entire hardware platform is unsuitable for transcoding due to age.  You would need to build up a platform on a Haswell or later CPU and run the DS918+ version of DSM to even attempt it.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

i doubt the whole transcoding (on the NAS) in most home use cases

the nas would only needed to stream the data and as long as there is enough bandwidth and the client can decode the data stream (4k in worst case and bandwidth should be no problem with 5GHz wifi and 1Gbit network) there is no need for transcoding on the source (NAS), any decent phone or raspi like board can decode 4k now

maybe if you want to watch your contend when not at home from the internet there is a need to cut down the bandwidth by transcoding (on the fly) it before streaming it

you need to jump to one or the other hoop to get the hardware transcoding work (the right processor, the right drivers, a valid serial and mac address from a real 918+)

and at home you could also skip the whole streaming thing and just use file based access like smb/cifs or nfs

Thanks for the info I do really appreciate it. So it sounds like I need to just stick with storage and data. Lastly, the motherboard has a pcie 16, one mini pcie, and two pci slots. Any creative suggestions on cards to use or not use? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this info is still important.. but for the latest version of  DMS you need a intel Nic.. I have a Realtek and i was not able to install the newest DSM versions 
Don"t know if there is a workaround for by now. But in my time i run in to this problem. so i stuck on version DSM 6.1.7-15284 

Edited by ZIP33
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dvalin21 said:

Thanks for the info I do really appreciate it. So it sounds like I need to just stick with storage and data. Lastly, the motherboard has a pcie 16, one mini pcie, and two pci slots. Any creative suggestions on cards to use or not use? Thanks in advance.

What cards do you need?  Do you have SATA ports on your motherboard (you haven't posted what model it is yet)?  Do you have an Ethernet port on your motherboard?

You may not need to acquire anything additional.

• Like 1

It the HP Proliant ML10. I have 2 Sata ports but I will need three so I will need an expansion card. I have a gigabyte Ethernet card, I guess I don't need more than that unless I'm going to do some streaming. There was or is a video card attached because o thought it would be helpful with transcoding before, but now it's just taking up space.

I think this is your server here: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04111408

The onboard Ethernet card is e1000e based and should work with DSM/XPEnology.  You will need to use the DS3615xs or DS3617xs image and Jun loader 1.03b because of your older processor.

Most people who need SATA ports beyond those on the motherboard are using Marvell-based or LSI Logic PCIe cards.  You'll need to make a determination as to which one works best for your present and future plans.  There is a lot of information on this forum. Start looking for folks with system configurations similar to yours, and validate with the compatibility threads.  Some places to look for some information:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13922-guide-to-native-drivers-dsm-617-and-621-on-ds3615/

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/90-user-reported-compatibility-thread-drivers-requests/

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-dsm-updates-reporting/

2 hours ago, ZIP33 said:

I don't know if this info is still important.. but for the latest version of  DMS you need a intel Nic.. I have a Realtek and i was not able to install the newest DSM versions 
Don"t know if there is a workaround for by now. But in my time i run in to this problem. so i stuck on version DSM 6.1.7-15284 

not anymore

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

and a new version for 918+ is on its way

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

Once the extra's for both platforms are stable, we should reconcile that status with this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

4 minutes ago, flyride said:

Once the extra's for both platforms are stable, we should reconcile that status with this:

yes, the new 918+ version is not out yet and it needs some rework on my text about the drivers, there versions and on how to use it

the list and color coding from the older extra.lzma threads are what it should look like

• 4 months later...
On 12/31/2019 at 12:31 PM, Dvalin21 said:

Hello everyone just had a question as I'm getting ready to put my build together. How many cores do you suggest the CPU to be? I'm seeing Xeon 8 core processors for 30 bucks on the internet but doesn't mean I need all data just to run data and a little bit of streaming. Also, ECC or Non ECC which is the better option? I will more likely stick with the Xeon series of CPU and any MB suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

PS: What does Evey think of the raspberry pie being used as a nas?

The more cores at the highest spead you can get and your system will allow

3615 will only allow 8 

3617 will allow 16 

918 seams from another post to only allow total of 8 before it disables the rest and gives dmesg errors 

• Like 1