XPEnology Community

A place in the path which survives a DMS update

ed_co

Hello,

I was just taking a look in order to install the exfat support for synology: https://github.com/luckylz2git/exfat-synology

What I don't know is if it survives a DSM update (as it looks it is copying to /bin).

Just let me know what could be a good location for installing a third party app in the path and be able to survive a DSM update without any problem, without the need of changing the path variable (witch I am sure it will be changed with DSM update) .

Thanks.

there are spk developer guidelines from synology, i guess they might cover things like this, also doing this as spk would be better

from having a quick glance on 3rd party plugins already installed it looks like /usr/local/ is the place

app folder symlinked into /usr/local/ and binary to start symlinked to /usr/local/bin/

install the docker plugin and have a look how it looks like

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ed_co said:

- What is the meaning of "SPK"?

https://synocommunity.com/packages

the file extension of Synology PacKages or plugins

- Is the place /usr/local or /usr/local/bin the place to install it?

not really, thats inside the system partition and has limited space

there are symlinks to the data volume where spk's or your data are stored

- I already have docker installed. I don't know what do you want me to look...

if you want to manually integrate it you can look how the docker "plugin" is installed (in data volume) and to make its binary and files available to the system it created symlinks in the partition, that seems to (at least one) official way to have it integrated in a way it will survive updates

you can read a littel here and see on in the code snippets about the linking into /usr/local/bin (from install directory - located on the data volume)

https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/pull/1913

afair exfat was made open source or at least free a while ago by microsoft, is the exfat plugin from synology still a payed extension?

i guess it will go into kernel at some point and be part of the system by default (might take a while)

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

not really, thats inside the system partition and has limited space

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I don't know how DSM is structured. I know that part of the space of the hard disks are not part of the filer but the SO itself (that's why we have much less space when we create volumes) it is a pity is not in another external drive instead of wasting space there.

there are symlinks to the data volume where spk's or your data are stored

Coming back to the structure, I don't know how it is mapped in the hard disk, I mean, which is the part of the OS, which is limited, I understand why is mapped with places in the Volume, just to not waste space, and survive updates (unless the symlinks are deleted in the folder where is mapped, with a DSM update which overrides everything).

I guess with File Station, we are not able to see the whole structure of it and just with and ssh, we can see and navigate correctly. That's why most of us, don't know how is the real structure, as we just can see the Volume/s.

Could you please, brief me the basic paths and maps of the file structure? Sorry about it, I am sure is super basic, but I don't know.

if you want to manually integrate it you can look how the docker "plugin" is installed (in data volume) and to make its binary and files available to the system it created symlinks in the partition, that seems to (at least one) official way to have it integrated in a way it will survive updates

For that I need to know a little bit about how is structured. It seems is not a usual linux system map.

you can read a littel here and see on in the code snippets about the linking into /usr/local/bin (from install directory - located on the data volume)

https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/pull/1913

I will take a look for sure.

afair exfat was made open source or at least free a while ago by microsoft, is the exfat plugin from synology still a payed extension?

i guess it will go into kernel at some point and be part of the system by default (might take a while)

It is not free. Maybe it will change with DSM 7.0, but is still paid.

Being xpenology so good (I am coming for an original DS1512+ product during so many years), and how well it works, I am looking forward to see a new loader for the DSM 7 which is supposed to be released soon. I am a little bit worried since there is no change in the loaders for a long time (I always used the 1.04b), which works pretty well.

Thanks for all your useful information.

Edited by ed_co
Adding DSM 7 comments

maybe you should leave it the way it is, might not be worth the time you would need to invest to do it the way suggested above, also no guarantee it will work as intended as its just theoretical

as can be seen in the link above someone already tried exfat as package and did not manage it to work the way it was intended, in the end it looks like as the code was removed about 2 years ago

13 minutes ago, ed_co said:

unless the symlinks are deleted in the folder where is mapped, with a DSM update which overrides everything).

whats not part of dsm will not be overwritten so the stuff in /usr/local should stay there and the files that belong to the package are stored on the data partition you have to create after installing (when not done automatic)

/dev/md0 is you system (raid1 over every disk)

/dev/md1 is swap (also raid1 on every disk)

/dev/md2 is your 1st data volume/raid you create and that's also the default place for packages/plugins (usually /volume1/@appstore/, and usually not a place to do things manually, its used by the package center and meddling there might break packages or worth)

so be careful and experiment with a spare system or a virtual dsm (dsm can be used in virtual box or vmware as vm, there are tutorials for this)