XPEnology Community

Set sata args for X11SSL-CF mbrd with 6 x SATA & 8 SATA ports attached to LSI3008 SAS controller

Trying to install DS3615xs loader on Supermicro X11SSL-CF which has 6xSata3 and Two (2) Mini-SAS HD Ports, each allowing connection of 4 SATA HDDs with 12 Gb/s throughput for each hard disk drive.

Problem I'm having is to get the DSM to actually address the SATA drives attached on the SAS controller.  I would prefer to hook up 8 SATA disks on the SAS ports first, leaving the SATA ports unused, because of the convenience of the miniSAS cable routing.  Whilst trying to install DSM, I'm getting an Server.(Error Code: 38).

Looking for advice on changes necessary in the following lines in the Grub.cfg: to accomplish this:

set extra_args_3615=''
#set extra_args_3615='earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 earlyprintk loglevel=15'

set common_args_3615='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=0 SasIdxMap=1'

imho the lsi3008 is not supported on 3615 (you did not write about the loader and dsm version you tried)

you should be successful when using loader 1.03b for ds3617, latest extra.lzma (matching 3617 and dsm 6.2.2)  and dsm 6.2.2

6.2.2 contains a newer mpt3sas driver then the older versions of dsm

read the section about ds3615xs and ds3617xs

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

imho the lsi3008 is not supported on 3615 (you did not write about the loader and dsm version you tried)

you should be successful when using loader 1.03b for ds3617, latest extra.lzma (matching 3617 and dsm 6.2.2)  and dsm 6.2.2

6.2.2 contains a newer mpt3sas driver then the older versions of dsm

read the section about ds3615xs and ds3617xs

Many thanks IG-88 for your considered advice.  We (my son particularly), followed your advice with regard to the extra.lzma, zImage, and rd.gz  included in DSM_DS3617xs_24922.pat and we got my X11SSL-CF system to boot with Jun's loader 1.03b and DSM6.2.2-24922.

System went through a recovery and now appears to be operating correctly. 

Only issue now is that we have not managed to map out the 6 SATA ports which are showing as vacant in Storage Manager.  Bearing in mind that this system has 6 SATA and 8 SAS ports (2 more than the twelve disk limit for DS3617xs) , do you have any advice on how to modify the set sata_args line in the grub.cfg to cause the system to recognise all 8 SAS ports and only 4 of the 6 SATA ports.

The current sata_args line in the current grub.cfg is:

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=08 SasIdxMap=1'

In the meantime I'll have a play around with the grub.cfg to see if I can manage to achieve the desired result.

Thanks again.

- this is specific about skipping unused drive positions - i guess exactly what you are looking for

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14224-tutorial-fix-skipped-hdd-numbers/

- you can try to disable the ports in bios

- change synoinfo.conf in /etc.defaults/ to support more drives then 12 (up to 24 can be done without problems)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PSGAZy7LVQ

this manual modding will be lost when installing a new "complete" pat file (~300MB, containing a hda1.tgz), as this completely overwrites the files on the system partition and sets it back to defaults, the raid usually fails in this case and you have to redo the change, i'm not sure about the state after "re-adding" the missing disks on next reboot, if the disks where redundant disks they will be rebuild (as the raid came up without the redundant disk writable), in case of being unusable at 1st boot (no write) it might just come up ok after re-adding the mod and booting up again (never tried that myself)

updates are usually ok (smaller pat files)

edit: skipping drives and modding synoinfo.conf can both bring problems when not being aware of the implied shortcomings

skipping drives might set up a wild hunt for a problem when changing the hardware and having forgotten the change in grub.cfg,adding drive slots be changing synoinfo.conf is more forgiving in this situation but might be a problem on big updates, i plan to add 24 drive support to the 3615/17 extra.lzma later (they just use the synology default of 12 drives), the 918+ comes with 4 by default and jun changed it to 16 in 1.04b, modding the patch inside extra.lzma will lead to check about the mod on every reboot, so the change should be added when needed (like big update) the same way its added when doing a fresh install

Edited by IG-88

- this is specific about skipping unused drive positions - i guess exactly what you are looking for

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14224-tutorial-fix-skipped-hdd-numbers/

- you can try to disable the ports in bios

- change synoinfo.conf in /etc.defaults/ to support more drives then 12 (up to 24 can be done without problems)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PSGAZy7LVQ

this manual modding will be lost when installing a new "complete" pat file (~300MB, containing a hda1.tgz), as this completely overwrites the files on the system partition and sets it back to defaults, the raid usually fails in this case and you have to redo the change, i'm not sure about the state after "re-adding" the missing disks on next reboot, if the disks where redundant disks they will be rebuild (as the raid came up without the redundant disk writable), in case of being unusable at 1st boot (no write) it might just come up ok after re-adding the mod and booting up again (never tried that myself)

updates are usually ok (smaller pat files).......

Many thanks IG-88:

Soon as I read your msg about BIOS!!!!

I realised that I couldn't see the wood for the trees; DOH!

Just modified the BIOS and rebooted.  Everything's sweet - no SATA ports - system is only using the SAS ports.

No wonder your title is Guru Master!

Thanks for all your valuable assistance.