XPEnology Community

DSM 5.0-4493 Update 5

Roodbaard

Upadted from Control panel GUI 4 reboots later all is well :grin: It was scary at first reboot black screen then with each successfull boot getting back a little more than the last. After 4th reboot everthing was restored! Stock HP N54L with 6 drive bios update orig drive on top in removable bay only 2 drives in bottom 3tb Raid1. I'm happy!!! Love this stuff! Any Questions?

Update!! After further investigation had to shut down Re-indexing service and delete the cache for it. Look around on this site for how to do this! There are many links on this site for doing this follow one you feel applies to your situation. I also had to re-apply some permissions (not all) and re-install some packages (again not all) but no data was lost. I have most of my data on a second volume this may be why, not sure. All in all not too much time to get around all the other stuff. All is well now!

Edited by Guest

update 5 works on the mediasmart server. unable to individually see my drives but shows up as a whole volume instead. waiting for the scrubbing to finish which might be a few months, then ill be able to reboot.

update yeah took about 2 reboots. 1st one i noticed finally everything was gone.. then another reboot i saw my drives under hdd/ssd. the first time the volume was available but nothing was showing.. then the 2nd reboot everything was gone gone as if my information was deleted. it said unmounted and under hdd/ssd said initialized. the final reboot took care of everything. actually scratch that.. fuck all my data is not accessible. checking permissions before i freak out and cry like a baby

ok so after the update the permissions got reset.. whewwwwwww i really lub this synology

I have been doing some testing on my TS140 as I have seen some strange variations in my xpenology DSM 5.0 - 4493 installs. In my initial install, where I only had 1 hard drive in it (WD RED 4TB), the initial DSM 5.0 installed fine, and I did the manual install to Update 5. I did have to do a hard reset after the update as the system froze after bootup (after the post message. I would get the diskstation login, but it would then hang) After booting back up, it worked fine, and I was able to create shared folders, including encrypted shares. I then added a 2nd and 3rd 4TB drive, and all worked fine. I was doing a lot of testing with DSM 5.0, and decided to do a fresh install, and when I did the update 5, I again had to do the hard reboot. (this seems normal, as I have seen the issue with previous updates as well). This is when I ran into the same "Operation not possible. Please sign in DSM and try again" message when I tried to create an encrypted share. This got me wondering why it worked the first time, but not the second, and the only difference in the installs was the 1 vs 3 drives. So, I did another test and did a fresh install with just 1 drive, did an update 4 (I wanted to see if I got the same freeze, that required a hard reboot, which it did),, and then did an update to 5. This time around, I was able to add encrypted shares without the error.

I ran out of testing time, but I am going to do the following:

1. Do a new fresh install to DSM 5.0, and then do an update to update 5 with just 1 drive. (I will do this twice, once where I only remove the SHR volume from the disk, where it will show as migratable, and one time where I will completely wipe the drive before I do the install. Just to see if there is any difference) If everything works fine, I will then:

2. Do a new fresh install of DSM 5.0, and then do an update to update 5 with all 3 disks.

Will report back.

FYI:

So I did a test:

1) Fresh install, to just 1 disk, DSM 5.0 update 5, and did not have the issue with adding an encrypted shared folder. After reboot, still able to mount no problem. Date/size of the libsynoshare.so.5 was: Sep 4th, 1am. 644 permissions / size: 104616

Before the update 5, the file was: May 30th, 09:26am. 644 permissions / size 104596

2) Fresh install, 3 disks, DSM 5.0 then update to 5. When I try to create the encrypted shared folder, I get "The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry." The permissions, size, date of the libsynoshare.so.5 is the same as it was in task number 1 after the update 5.

I am going to try one more test tomorrow, repeating step 1, verify it works, then add the other 2 disks into the SHR, let it build, and try the test again.

Hi All,

So, I did my third test.

I initially redid my test 1, which resulted in a result that was the same as the previous test, everything worked fine with encrypted folders/shares. I then shut the system down, and added the remaining 2 disks. Upon boot up, I added them to the SHR volume and let it build overnight. In the morning one of the two disks had been added and it began working on the second disk. I decided to see if I could mount one of the few encrypted folders, but I got the same error "The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry".

It seems very strange that everything works fine with a single disk, but stops working when additional are added.

Any thoughts? I am now going to try and replace the libsynoshare.so.5 with the one in this thread. (which appears to be the original libsynoshare.so.5 from the DSM 5.0 4493 load)

FYI: I replaced the libsynoshare.so.5 with the original DSM 5.0 4493 version (including in this thread), did a reboot, and all is good.

I am starting to think that the update 5 version of the libsynoshare.so.5 has an issue with multiple disks. Or it could just be my setup.

Anybody else have the ability to test?