XPEnology Community

INSTALLING SYNOLOGY DSM WITHOUT USB

She

ok

heres a guide how to install DSM without USB stick, and its more like the original synology nas.

and it makes the whole process of installing XPEnology, extremely easy.

just wondering..on an official synology nas, the DSM installs/clones its OS on all the drives that we have on the nas,

so if a particular drive fails the DSM will boot from the other disks.. correct me if i m wrong.

with the above guide of installation (which is only install the DSM os on one drive and thus having only one copy of DSM), if that particular drive (OS DSM) dies, we can't access the DSM.

another issue is that we don't know if the package/image from these release is safe..

am i missing something?

Your suggestions are welcome

I was going to cheer but then I realized it uses a custom image. This is bad for all kinds of reasons.

Bummer.

please name a few..

thanks

also i just confirm this..

This is a guide for using a single HDD obviously this is for people with only 1 HDD and obviously it means there wont be redundancy but it is mainly so that you don't need nanoboot on a separate USB.

so its better to stick with the following guide that uses a USB stick and the image from the xpenology.nl site

INSTALL SYNOLOGY DSM 5.0 (4493) (ESXI / NON ESXI)

http://cyanlabs.net/Thread-Install-Synology-DSM-5-0-4493-ESXi-Non-ESXI

Edited by Guest

the DSM will be installed on all harddisk in particular partitions in RAID 1 mode

cat /proc/mdstat 
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] 
md3 : active raid1 sdc3[0] sdd3[1]
     2925544256 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [uU]

md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
     2925544256 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [uU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1] sdc2[2] sdd2[3]
     2097088 blocks [12/4] [uUUU________]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1] sdc1[2] sdd1[3]
     2490176 blocks [12/4] [uUUU________]

I was going to cheer but then I realized it uses a custom image. This is bad for all kinds of reasons.

Bummer.

please name a few..

thanks

You make yourself reliant on another guy that needs to keep updating his images with the new releases. Also there is no guarantee that he didn't tamper with it not to mention there could be bugs introduced with this method.

You make yourself reliant on another guy that needs to keep updating his images with the new releases. Also there is no guarantee that he didn't tamper with it not to mention there could be bugs introduced with this method.

Simple solution would be to make your own release and be sure that you know what you wrote or buy the official device with more trusted code.