XPEnology Community

M.2 SATA on ASRock H370M-ITX/AC not working

test4321

Howdy,

I have replaced my old MOBO+CPU combo with ASRock H370M-ITX/AC + i5-8400T. This is a baremetal build - DS3615xs on DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1

I bought a M.2 SATA recently - WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD (WDS500G2B0B) and thought I might be able to use it in the build.

The drive shows up in the interface and is being recognized, BUT it shows as failing.

What I have done so far:

- restarted

- ran both of the health tests - both have status "normal"

- tried to run SSD cache

- tried secure erase

The reason for the fail Synology claims:

"The estimated lifespan of this SSD is reaching predefined endurance limit. Replacing this drive immediately is highly recommended."

Obviously this drive is straight out of the box.

Has anybody dealt with M.2 SATA drives? Any ideas how I can fix it or is this a lost cause?

DiskStation2.jpg

DiskStation3.jpg

DiskStation1.jpg

DiskStation5.jpg

DiskStation4.jpg

DiskStation6.jpg

Edited by test4321

47 minutes ago, The Chief said:

It does recognize the drive, but SMART data from drive shows 1% lifetime remaining. I personally recommend warranty replacement.

Do you think it can be because Xpenology doesnt recognize the M.2 - meaning something happens in transit of M.2 slot so this error happens?

PS: sending the hard drive back now. I dont wanna deal with this bs so just going to buy 2x 2.5" SSDs

Edited by test4321

54 минуты назад, test4321 сказал:

Do you think it can be because Xpenology doesnt recognize the M.2 - meaning something happens in transit of M.2 slot so this error happens?

I doubt that. It's clear that ssd itself shows some errorneous data in SMART attribute #230. Aside from that, it's shows no signs of malfunction, but #230 attribute is a «malfunction buzzer» for alert monitoring, Synology included.

Edited by The Chief
  • Thanks 1

49 минут назад, test4321 сказал:

so just going to buy 2x 2.5" SSDs

Good solution. M.2 SATA gains nothing in terms of speed, it's the very same SATA 6Gb/s (aka SATA-3). 2.5" SSDs are more easy to mount, they have no overheating problems, most of them are cheaper then m2 ones with same speed/quality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Chief said:

Good solution. M.2 SATA gains nothing in terms of speed, it's the very same SATA 6Gb/s (aka SATA-3). 2.5" SSDs are more easy to mount, they have no overheating problems, most of them are cheaper then m2 ones with same speed/quality.

Plus I bought that one for 95 CAD, now 2x of them are only $150 CAD and I'll be able to do write cache.

6 minutes ago, The Chief said:

What model have you chose, if it's not a secret? ;)

ADATA SU800 512GB - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01K8A29CS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2UXO5LPTDY3LN&psc=1

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11085/the-adata-ultimate-su800-ssd-review-128gb-256gb-512gb/7

Some ok reviews for entry level SSD. I'm not planning to run crazy loads on the machine, just need to speed up writes / reads.

I will probably leave only 400GB for the cache so it has that extra space in case they blow up on me (under provisioning).

Edited by test4321

21 минуту назад, test4321 сказал:

I will probably leave only 400GB for the cache

It's «Over-Provisioning» and it's not a cache-like tech. It's more of a «spare area» reserved for wear leveling, reducing write amplification & garbage collecting. 20% reserved area is more than enough in common scenarios.

1 minute ago, The Chief said:

It's «Over-Provisioning» and it's not a cache-like tech. It's more of a «spare area» reserved for wear leveling, reducing write amplification & garbage collecting. 20% reserved area is more than enough in common scenarios.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Didnt use the right word.

Since my setup has 10Gbe card, I will be hitting these drives all the time.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 3:59 AM, The Chief said:

That's what I plan on 2020. :)  10Gbe infrastructure is rather costly…

Its getting cheaper. I'm following a bunch of 10Gbe switches that are silent and have 8-12 ports on them and cost below $600-800. I dont have that much need right now so I just use DAC cable with SFP+. But RG45 10Gbe - that would be sweet network.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075Q66RKF/?coliid=I60HDBLQAHJFN&colid=3C6VY3V1QUSSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XX4H997/?coliid=IGNMWOREKPQQK&colid=3C6VY3V1QUSSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076642YPN/?coliid=I1E785APTC8EG3&colid=3C6VY3V1QUSSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it