XPEnology Community

DS710+

rapzak

Hi,

I have installed on a DS710+ with usbstick in front.

Used 3615 1.03 bootloader (latest)

All seems good, but i have issues with booting regarding how many usb devices there are connected.

example - if none other than the usb drive is connected in front, it will boot loop, and write it can not find partition.

If i add a keyboard in usb in the back, it boots nice - also if i add a zigbee dongel...

Any clues?

I have used a usb to SD card to make the boot drive - is it too low quality HW?

/Rapzak

Hi,

I made a new USB flash disk, and installed internally on the original connector.

Used another flash drive as well.

But still will only when i connect other USB stuff on the back.

Anyone have a comment for that? I think it is strange :(

/Rapzak

IMG_20191216_224916.thumb.jpg.83fc110c8497a0a1f4b1f8ff641c72e7.jpgIMG_20191216_224216.thumb.jpg.a2d154d4636236b09402d2a9c8355745.jpgIMG_20191216_224149.thumb.jpg.aa21d318c017070d29ca38b69905cd54.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Made a mistake by upgrading my DS710+ to DSM6, the internal USB (original) got corrupted.

Would like to restore this to orignal, and start experimenting afterwards, ofcourse with a seperate USB drive like you did (....and I should have done 🥴).

Are you willing to share an image of the original USB? It seems first partition looks ok, it asks to install DSM2.2-1042, it looks like this installs, but it never reboots again.

Problem seems to be in the second (99 mb) partition.

And like HellG mentioned, hardware should not be the problem, it looks like the software is checking or veryfing something on the USB bus. Interesting !

Thijs

17 hours ago, Thijs said:

Made a mistake by upgrading my DS710+ to DSM6, the internal USB (original) got corrupted.

how did that happen? did you do some experiments with it? its usually not going to get corrupted by normal updates with dsm, so if it just happened then the module might be faulty and even transferring the content of a working module might not help - also that boot image will contain the serial number of the "source" unit and i have doubts some one will risk having his SN blacklisted because of multiple use at the same time

the donor would need to remove his sn from the module and beside the extra work/risk there might be only very few people being willing and able to do so

if you want to replace the original dom you would need a usb flash drive that has the usb vid/pid f400/f400, imho the bios of a original unit will only boot from a usb with that id (at least that was what i got from earlier cases where people tried to replace the usb dom, maybe older units do not check the id's)

it is possible to remodel a usb flash drive this way but it needs some knowledge/reading and the right usb flash drive with a software to reconfigure the controller on it (like in the factory), thats a pretty high hanging fruit and would need some time  (and maybe 1-3 broken flash drives), usually its hard to find out what controller is in a certain flash drive and having the right tool, i ended up finding a tool and match the usb drive to it (needed three buying attempts to get the right one)

you can search the forum for more information, there are 2 or 3 people having done this

Edited by IG-88

Hi,

I will not share my disk - sadly to risky.

I managed to change the vid/pid on the above stick on the hole pcb...

However, i have run xpenology on the ds710+ since my above post - waiting to see DSM7 - and the i properly get the DS720+.. :)

So you can run xpenolgy on the DS710+ - and it runs quite okay - litle slow but ok.

The LED on the front and the fan seems not to be controlled correctly, however, nothing breaks and fan is litle noisy.

1 hour ago, rapzak said:

if you are not using the SN anymore (when running 3615) it might be of no importance, also the serial (and mac) combo only for a few things like hardware transcoding, survailance station and quick connect

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

can you give more detail about that? would be interesting to know if there is a different/easier method  then changing the usb flash drive to f400/f400

If you use xpenology, you can change the ini file to match your vid/pid of the new disk... else i presume not.

It was difficult, and like mentioned you need to find the right drive with right controller, find the production tool, understand it etc. i used many hours for that...

1 minute ago, rapzak said:

It was difficult, and like mentioned you need to find the right drive with right controller, find the production tool, understand it etc. i used many hours for that...

ahh, ok the you did it the same way as i did - much do complicated for a average user

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

how did that happen? did you do some experiments with it? its usually not going to get corrupted by normal updates with dsm, so if it just happened then the module might be faulty and even transferring the content of a working module might not help - also that boot image will contain the serial number of the "source" unit and i have doubts some one will risk having his SN blacklisted because of multiple use at the same time

the donor would need to remove his sn from the module and beside the extra work/risk there might be only very few people being willing and able to do so

Some changes have been made to the files at the second partition. Thought I had a backup, but when I replaced the files with the files from the backup, it didn't work.

It might be something with permissions, or ownership of the files. But I'm not that experienced that I would change this easily, so I was wandering if I could find the proper settings (authorisations etc.) so I can double check and change mine if needed.

3 hours ago, rapzak said:

Hi,

No problem, didn't know about the serial number being on this disk, if I would I probably never asked because I would not share the disk myself.

Do understand the issue with serial numbers, didn't know that they are in the files somewhere and that it will be one hell of a job to change.

The files on the second partition are replaced during a system upgrade? This would mean these files should be in the upgrade package.

Can they be retrieved by extracting an original Syno package?

5 minutes ago, Thijs said:

The files on the second partition are replaced during a system upgrade?

yes, the kernel of the dsm version is copied to the 2nd partition, its the same as with our loader here

i have not seen a image file of a original loader but i gess the 2nd parttions is the same but without the extra drivers (extra.lzma)

5 minutes ago, Thijs said:

This would mean these files should be in the upgrade package.

Can they be retrieved by extracting an original Syno package?

the way to go would be to copy valid kernel files from the *.pat file to the 2nd parttion of the loader

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/5.2/5967/DSM_DS710+_5967.pat

open the file with 7zip and extract zImage and rd.gz, that would be the files you need

the question is how will you get access to the 2nd partition of the loader, lets say you have, then you replace the files there with the two you extracted and then you reconnect the usb module to the unit and boot, in the best case scenario  you should find it again in network and should be able to install the dsm version i linked above (or if the disks already had that version it might boot again)

so what was your plan if you would get a image of the loader, how would you access the usb module to write to it, that would be the same way to use only that you only access the 2nd partition and write the working kernel files to it

i never checked that but maybe the usb connector synology uses for the module is the same as on other systemboards (usb2 onboard)

there is some dokumentation about that here in the forum and you would need to compare that to a normal system's onboard connector

don't just plug it in somewhere without checking, it might destroy the module or the boards usb (or both)

if its just the default layout and can be used in a normal system board the you could connect it that way and boot up a rescue linux from usb to mount the synology module and copy the files

• Like 1

Using a Linux Mint (on a USB stick/drive) I took the small pcb from the DS710, hooked it up to the linux machine and had a look at the files.

Used Nano to edit some files, put back the files I thought would be my back-up, also thought if I removed the files, they would be created during installation (the DSM2.2-1042).

By gettiing a (working) image, I would rewrite the partition from scratch, hopefully to solving the issue I'm in at the moment. Understood that this is not possible due to serial numbers etc. 

It's a bit of nasty habbit to see if you can do more with a device then it's supposed to do ;-)) 

26 minutes ago, Thijs said:

Used Nano to edit some files,

what files did you edit in what way and do you have backups?

26 minutes ago, Thijs said:

put back the files I thought would be my back-up, also thought if I removed the files, they would be created during installation (the DSM2.2-1042).

if you removed the kernel files then its pretty much clear, without the kernel the loader will not start and for that reason the whole system will not start

you need these kernel files

if you know what files where there then put them back

if it was dsm 2.2 before then

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/2.2/1042/synology_x86_710+_1042.zip

710+ seems to be supported up to DSM 5.2 so why not going with that?

i guess if you make a copy the whole module with a imaging tool (like dd on linux) you could try to copy the loader 1.03b 3615 (img file) to that module (also using dd), your original module does have the right usb vid/pid to be recognized by the original bios and if you start the xpenology loader and have the grub.cfg set to f400/f400 it should work

the original dsm is x86 (not x64) but the cpu is Intel Atom D410 and that one has 64bit instruction set

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/43517/intel-atom-processor-d410-512k-cache-1-66-ghz.html

atm it look like you system might be recoverable with the original dsm so you might try that first and if you succeed you can still think if its worth experimenting with the unit again - and you should up the ram to at least 2GB before trying 3615

btw. the x86 dsm version is limited to 16TB per volume but that is not really a concern with just 2 disk

Have been in contact with Synology, they would like to Telnet into the DS710. 

Didn't work as the Telnet ports seems to be blocked (cross checked with DS720).

What I have noticed that the MAC address is changing when you reboot the device. 

Just placed a portable version Linux Mint on a USB and booted up from this.

Have set/spoofed the MAC address, and voila, I could reach google without probs, speedtest was running without issues.

So problem seems to be related to how the LAN interface is setup.

My knowledge of the boot system is to limited to try to check/set the MAC address setup.

Will check with Synology if they can help.

• 1 year later...
On 12/16/2019 at 7:42 AM, rapzak said:

Hi,

I have installed on a DS710+ with usbstick in front.

Used 3615 1.03 bootloader (latest)

All seems good, but i have issues with booting regarding how many usb devices there are connected.

example - if none other than the usb drive is connected in front, it will boot loop, and write it can not find partition.

If i add a keyboard in usb in the back, it boots nice - also if i add a zigbee dongel...

Any clues?

I have used a usb to SD card to make the boot drive - is it too low quality HW?

/Rapzak

Are you running it on  2 or 4 RAM, and do you have a link to the loader you are using? Thanks ahead!

• 1 year later...
В 12.12.2020 в 23:53, rapzak сказал:

I run xpenology on the ds710+ since my above post - waiting to see DSM7 - and the i properly get the DS720+.. :)

Hi!

How did you manage it?

All manuals is for "xpenology for real PC". No any word about "xpenology to Synology".😖

Can you give any links, please? 🙏

PS Have a DS710+ and want to give it a new life.

• Like 1