XPEnology Community

success install on C246M-WU4 MB+ i3-9100F

TomLuke

Thank you both for the reply

The machine has 120G SSD, and I want to add a HD to the machine, so I shut the machine down, and add a 500G HD(old one, still working), when I turn on the machine(without USB drive), it seems not boot, the screen shows just a blink cursor.

Is that means: I need the USB drive with loader each time the machine start?

37 minutes ago, TomLuke said:

Thank you both for the reply

The machine has 120G SSD, and I want to add a HD to the machine, so I shut the machine down, and add a 500G HD(old one, still working), when I turn on the machine(without USB drive), it seems not boot, the screen shows just a blink cursor.

Is that means: I need the USB drive with loader each time the machine start?

The boot loader USB should be left connected to the NAS all the time or it will fail to boot as you have seen. Its also best to disable all other boot devices except the USB in bios

On 12/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, TomLuke said:

I need the USB drive with loader each time the machine start?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?tab=comments#comment-86731

usb is just the loader to boot and the system (dsm)  is installed on every disk as raid1, so even when all disk but one fail you can still boot dsm

Edited by IG-88

On 12/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, TomLuke said:

Thank you all for your reply.

Current I use single drive in my test box, is it necessary to use RAID 1?

No it's not. You can use 1 drive if that's your wish. This said, if that drive dies/get corrupted then you could potentially lose your data but also your server will be offline until you get a new drive. RAID is not designed for backup but for performance and data redundancy or even both.

the first time I install the system, I use a 120G SSD, upon finish, is there any codes installed on that SSD or in USB drive(bootloader reside)?(I use the method of press "C" while bootloader start, and type PID/VID/SN/MAC, etc.)

Today I put a 500G HD on, and use storage manager to create a "basic" RAID and volume. I will add another 500G HD later. I was wonder if I make a RAID 1 with 2 500G HD, do I need to install the codes again from that 120G SSD to 500G RAID 1?

Thanks in advance

On 12/16/2019 at 2:38 AM, TomLuke said:

Current I use single drive in my test box, is it necessary to use RAID 1?

to be more precise, your system partition with dsm is always raid1 over all disks, it will "block" ~2GB system + 2GB for swap, that default on you might see something about a disk needing to be "inizialized" bofore you can make it a part of a data raid set, this data raid set can have different types of raid but the system/dsm  partition is not to choose, its a fixed thing and bound to how dsm works

When I install for the first time, I use a USB drive and just a single 120G SSD, I choose "manual install" in a browser, and choose the .pat file, I was wonder where the .pat file was installed, is it installed on that 120G SSD?

I will install 2 500G HD later, this 2 500G HD will form a RAID 1, as IG-88 said, that .pat file is on that 120G SSD, then I cannot remove the SSD after I install 500G HD?

Thanks

В 15.12.2019 в 02:46, TomLuke сказал:

just now I istall DSM 6.1.4 DS3615sx pat to my i3-9100F/C246MWU4 MB/16G Ram/120G SSD.

But it said: cpu has 2 core, not 4 core.

Hi, did you get working both of NIC on this setup? What about NVMe?

Edited by Van1ok

19 hours ago, TomLuke said:

I will install 2 500G HD later, this 2 500G HD will form a RAID 1, as IG-88 said, that .pat file is on that 120G SSD, then I cannot remove the SSD after I install 500G HD?

i guess as long as you don't create a data partition like a basic disk (like when wanting to install plugins you will be asked to create that) you can remove the disk later

but why start with a single 500G disk now and add the 2nd later?

All the SSD/HD are the one not used, maybe I have to buy some T-bytes HD to form RAID, 500G is too small.

I will install the new HD while the 120G SSD is connected, and do the volume build, then remove the 120G SSD.

I believe this will leave the installed DSM pat file there.

By the way, I only see one NIC on DSM screen, not sure why other NIC did not show up.

15 hours ago, TomLuke said:

By the way, I only see one NIC on DSM screen, not sure why other NIC did not show up.

according to specs and manual (schematic picture of the board) there are two different single port LAN's nor really one dual nic

so one seems not to be supported by the driver package in use

i guess with the newer extra.lzma i released last weekend you would see both

15 hours ago, TomLuke said:

All the SSD/HD are the one not used, maybe I have to buy some T-bytes HD to form RAID, 500G is too small.

???

you can use 500G drives if you want, a raid1 will still be 500GB (minus 2+2GB from dsm and swap), if you have 4 and make it raid5 then 1,5TB will be usable

with such old drives you should always use some raid option with redundancy, not basic, raid0 or jbod

depending on what you have in mind but 4-8TB drives have good GB/money rate, you dont need any "boot disk" its just the loader on usb and dsm sysem on every disk you use in the system

I got 2 500G HD, create RAID 1 volume, and remove the 120Gssd, it works fine.

I also install the surveillance station, and it works too.

I would like to know:  it has 2 cam license by default, can I add new license to it? since it said: it will connect to synology to validate the license key.

• 3 weeks later...
В 20.12.2019 в 18:18, IG-88 сказал:

according to specs and manual (schematic picture of the board) there are two different single port LAN's nor really one dual nic

so one seems not to be supported by the driver package in use

i guess with the newer extra.lzma i released last weekend you would see both

Thank you very much, I've got same MB and get working both NIC with your extra.lzma . After successfully installation with 918+ 1.04b loader, I changed extra.lzma to your version 0.6 and both NIC started to work.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:11 AM, TomLuke said:

, can I add new license to it? since it said: it will connect to synology to validate the license key.

afaik no, you need valid sn and mac's for this but i remember seeing a downgrade process to get 4 cams

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13597-tutorial-4-camera-on-surveillance-station-legally/?do=findComment&comment=100721

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there, @TomLuke @IG-88

I have success in installing DSM 6.2.2 on this same motherboard with an Intel i3-8100, with jun loader 1.04 and DS918+ pat system. I'm very happy about that! :-) Thank you all for the precious informations! 

And I've successfully followed the procedure for updating the cosmetic info about my CPU in DSM. Now I have a couple of questions: 

• Tom, do you have success in having WOL correctly working on I-210 or i-219? I correctly set the WOL options in DSM but I'ven't yet had any positive result. Startup/Shutdown in scheduler are working if this is of any help.
  • I have 16 HDDs slot in Storage Manager even if my mb has only 8 SATA ports, is it normal? Do I have to modify some config file to have the proper number of slots correctly shown in DSM?
  • I have to transfer my set of four SHR raid HDD's from my previous Synology Ds916, which is working with a newer version of DSM (6.2.3 at the moment), can I safely transfer them or am I in danger? which is the best practise for doing it (I don't have enough space to backup everything!!! Sorry!)? 

Thanks in advance! :-)

And Stay safe from Covid! :-)