XPEnology Community

QUESTION: multiple xpenology VMs in esxi 6.7

elviso33

Dear All,

I search for several hours but could not easily find a definitive answer.  Can you install two xpenology VMs and get them both to work?  I tried to do so and they will install, however I cannot get the second VM to get a different IP address and therefore will not work.  It gets the same IP address as the first VM (I did change the serial and mac in synoboot.vmdk of the second).  I also installed win 10 and that is assigned a virtual adaptor and gets its own IP address and works properly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elviso

Edited by elviso33

13 minutes ago, elviso33 said:

(I did change the serial and mac in synoboot.vmdk of the second)

You said you changed those in the synoboot.vmdk. I should have interpreted that as in the grub as indeed SN and MAC are not in the synoboot.vmdk.

If the second VM is receiving the same IP it's clearly because the MAC address is the same in both VMs. Check your router and refresh the IP address attribution list. Check the Grub file again. Clear your cache as well.

8 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

You said you changed those in the synoboot.vmdk. I should have interpreted that as in the grub as indeed SN and MAC are not in the synoboot.vmdk.

If the second VM is receiving the same IP it's clearly because the MAC address is the same in both VMs. Check your router and refresh the IP address attribution list. Check the Grub file again. Clear your cache as well.

Dear Polanskiman,

Thank you for your input and suggestions.  I had used a prebuilt VM from the forums and while it works well for the VM1, changing the mac and sn of the prebuilt image did not work for VM2 to get the proper IP address.  In the end I gave up and started from scratch and now it works well and got my RDM passed as well.  It was driving me nuts.

Thanks again for the community and support.

Elviso33