XPEnology Community

Im looking to install the latest version of DSM (probably 6.2 or 6.x, whichever works) on a Dell OptiPlex 9020. It has 16GB of RAM, a 1TB Sata drive (which I can swap for an SSD if need be) and a 4 core i7 3.6Ghz CPU. Im really just looking to use the Synology Surveillance software and if I like how its working I could move to a bigger Dell r640 or something. I'm curious if this system will work to install DSM on it and if so, which DS pat file should I select. And are there any other gotchas? 

After looking into this more, maybe Im under the wrong impression.

I basically just want to install DSM on a non Synology device so I can utilize the software/apps within it. Tutorial is referencing existing NAS devices and isnt clear if DSM is actually running on the device or on a USB drive itself? 

XPEnology is an emulation of some specific „real“ Synology models (916, 918+, DS3615xs/3617xs). When booting the prepared usb stick the loader „tells“ the PC that it’s one of the mentioned Synology boxes (for example: 1.04b -> 918+). As in real boxes the OS (=DSM) is installed on a 2GB partition on every hdd/ssd which is connected. So there’s no specific boot drive like in other systems and your BIOS boot order must always point to the usb stick as first boot device. 

In short: PC boots from usb -> loader is initialized -> loader checks for DSM system partitions on hard drives -> OS (=DSM) starts from hard drives. On a new system where no system partitions have been created the OS falls back into installation mode which is done through a browser (you’ll need a DHCP in your LAN and check which IP your XPenology received). The preparation of your stick and installation process is described in the howto‘s/FAQ. Beside that you should check your hardware if it’s supported (Cpu, Nic, etc.).

A notice regarding surveillance station: using more than 2 cams in XPenology is not possible in legal ways, even with additional bought keys.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:37 AM, jsmith032 said:

Regarding the cameras, what makes more than 2 cameras illegal? 

DSM offers 2 free camera licences and prevents you from adding more than that in SS (Surveillance Station). If you need more than two cameras, Synology sells licences but because you are using DSM on non-Synology hardware even if you buy those licenses you would still be infringing the EULA. This said you are already running DSM on non-Synology hardware so it's really up to you. One important note though. You would also need to have a legit Serial/MAC pair for the licences to work, so that's that.

Just be aware that because of what I just stated above Synology does not offer any support and if you loose your licenses for whatever reason then Synology will ask you to provide your SN for recovery and obviously they will realize you are not running a genuine Synology. Therefore I advise against it.

For reference. He knows what he is talking about as he had to deal with the bitterness of loosing his licences.

If my XPEnology is a "DS3615" but I have a serial number for a DS118 can I apply that serial number and be "legal" to the point where I can purchase an additional camera license? Since I have the valid license, would I be able to use the quick connect option and use a synology account to have external access to the XPEnology ? 

Edited by jsmith032

9 hours ago, jsmith032 said:

If my XPEnology is a "DS3615" but I have a serial number for a DS118 can I apply that serial number and be "legal" to the point where I can purchase an additional camera license? Since I have the valid license, would I be able to use the quick connect option and use a synology account to have external access to the XPEnology ? 

You can try.