test4321

Does hard drive order matter? (moving to new motherboard)

Question

Howdy,

I'm planning to move to 8400T + ASRock H370M-ITX/AC from 6400T + MSI H110I PRO AC Mini. When I move the hard-drives - does the hard drive order matter? Do I need to write down which one goes first, second and so on? 

Also new motherboard will probably have a different HDD layout - I'm going to be using M.2 SATA in it which takes up SATA3_1 port on the motherboard. 

I already prepared a backup in case it goes bad, but just wanted to know if anybody had experience moving to new hardware?

3 answers to this question

Depends on your RAID/Volume setup. If you use SHR1/2 it's always a good idea to mark your HDDs on which S-ATA port they are connected.

Usually it's not a problem when you switch to a new board, except for driver support (different NIC, chipset, etc.). But in general the system recognizes your installation.

• Thanks 1

If the array was healthy when shut down, it should work out of order.  But that is a last resort.  I'd use some blank drives and figure out the order of the ports before installing.

• Like 1

I'm running SHR1. The drives are marked, but I dont know how that will work out on the new motherboard because it's SATA layout has 6 ports instead of 4. 

Good that I already made a backup - I assume it might have some kind of problem. In any case I'll probably end up re-installing.