XPEnology Community

No longer seeing NAS after Disk Check

mmedeiro

Question

Hi all,

I have an 11 disk DSM 5.2 Xpenology NAS which recently had another unexpected power down... not the first time. It's been reporting there was an issue with the file system for a while now. I have began the file system check via the volume manager on the DSM webpage  in the past but canceled and rebooted the NAS due to impatience. Today i decided to run the full check but upon restart I had a f1 to boot to bios error because Im watercooled, usual stuff nothing new. So i bypass that by hitting f1, the the LSI controllers initialize as usual. Then it moves on to boot into xpenology... until it get to the final part of the instructions it state ===device plug event===.. usually i see the NAS in synology assistant but not this time. I'm thinking the disk check is running and i would like to cancel and take the important data off the drives and just build a new raid... i can't understand why i wouldn't be seeing the NAS on the network via Synology ast.. even thought i can access the NAS via SSH..  Any ideas?

Please tell me theres a savior out there.

5 answers to this question

Even if the volume crashed why in the world am i not able to see the NAS at all on DS assistant. The particular NAS has been up for years, i have never had an issue like this.

Also seeing this sbin/e2fsck returns 1.. im guessing that's the disk check running before booting the NAS.

Edited by mmedeiro

5 hours ago, mmedeiro said:

world am i not able to see the NAS at all on DS assistant.

maybe its checking for web service and if that is not running then its not available (as DS "service") and not shown

that's what ping and ssh are for and in worst case you might need a recovery/rescue linux to boot from to get your data

btw. good time to think about buying a UPS and checking if the backup is recent enough (and what data needs to be backed up)

i also have plan "B" like DSM is unsuable after a update and i need access to my data, in my case i know i can boot up OMV and access the raid volume (its just mdadm and lvm) over network, also a option could be to access files from the backup

you spotted problems with your way of running things? try to eliminate the cause or at least mitigate the effects

usually the private NAS data should be treated similar as business data, planning and backup is needed too for your own data (having a broken raid made me thinking too years ago)

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

btw. good time to think about buying a UPS and checking if the backup is recent enough (and what data needs to be backed up)

i also have plan "B" like DSM is unsuable after a update and i need access to my data, in my case i know i can boot up OMV and access the raid volume (its just mdadm and lvm) over network, also a option could be to access files from the backup

you spotted problems with your way of running things? try to eliminate the cause or at least mitigate the effects

usually the private NAS data should be treated similar as business data, planning and backup is needed too for your own data (having a broken raid made me thinking too years ago)

That's the best part. I decided to run the disk check bc I just purchased 2 UPSs lol for the NAS. Luckily the NAS came back online but it says I have 2 bad disks but all 11 show as healthy.. I have drives ready to implant but I don't know which ones to remove. Today I backed up all my important data to cloud servers in preparation for a catastrophic failure. It's a 34 TB with 21TB of data so now way to back all that up unfortunately.