XPEnology Community

Link down/up eth DSM 6.2.1

DonTomate

Hello friends, I have a problem with the network connection. The connection is lost sometimes during the day, especially when there is intensive use of network traffic, although it also happens sometimes when nothing is used.

I have DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6 installed with jun's boot 1.04b, DS918 + on a Gigabyte GB-BLPD-5005 nuc (http://en.gigabyte.com/products/page/desktop_platform/gb-blpd-5005rev_10). It uses the Realtek RTL8111HS NIC.

As I mentioned, the network connection is lost both in local and external network for a few seconds or minutes, and the Log Center shows the network loss as "[LAN 1] Link down" and "[LAN 1] Link up".

Any idea why this problem can occur? I have verified that it is a DSM problem, since only the connection in DSM is lost and the network card does not give problems with a Linux distribution. I have also tried different routers, ports and cables for the network, getting the same result. Should I try some extra.izma to check if it is fixed?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I do not express myself correctly in anything, my English is not very good and I have used a translator for some parts of the text.

Captura.PNG

Edited by DonTomate

i'd check cabels and switch port and if the switch is managed the log of the switch, there are things like STP (spanning tree protocol) that can block a port on the switch, but there can be other reasons too why a (managed) switch cut's off a port (like intrusion or fault detection)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

i'd check cabels and switch port and if the switch is managed the log of the switch, there are things like STP (spanning tree protocol) that can block a port on the switch, but there can be other reasons too why a (managed) switch cut's off a port (like intrusion or fault detection)

Thanks for your answer @IG-88. I have tried other routers, both operator and neutral with different configurations, I have also tested half a dozen different cables and the same equipment with Ubuntu Server, where it has not given any problem or connection cut, so I decide that something is failing in DSM. My NIC is supposed to use r8168 controllers, which are natively included in jun's booth, so I don't understand where the problem may come from. Maybe I should try your extra.Izma? I think it is one of the few options that I have left, physically I have already checked everything possible and the problem does not come from there.

24 minutes ago, DonTomate said:

Maybe I should try your extra.Izma? I think it is one of the few options that I have left, physically I have already checked everything possible and the problem does not come from there.

if seen logically, the driver is still all the same snce you installed, external sources like cable and switch port are checked then it leaves only the nic hardware

i'd suggest to try a additional nic but with your hardware ... no pcie slot

my way would be to use a recent live linux (newer driver)  booted from usb (or a windows booted from usb) and try to find out if the problem persists

if it does work better with different driver then trying a newer driver with dsm might help, but afair i had problems with that particular driver then doing the last extra.lzma for 6.2.2 ("experimental") so i used jun's in it, i think i know why but as i'm on testing for 3615/17 now it will take 2 weeks before i will do 918+ again

you can try a usb nic but dsm is picky about that (not as much drivers as usual linux distributions have)

a alternative could also be to user a usb drive with open media vault on it in the meantime, thats my plan "B" when dsm should have hickups and i need to use my data on the dsm data partition (omv should automatically detect the data raid partition on boot - at least it did as i tested it)

edit: heat can be a factor too, try to push cold air into the narrow housing or leave it open and use a fan from above to have planty of cooling to test if that helps

Edited by IG-88

52 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if seen logically, the driver is still all the same snce you installed, external sources like cable and switch port are checked then it leaves only the nic hardware

my way would be to use a recent live linux (newer driver)  booted from usb (or a windows booted from usb) and try to find out if the problem persists

if it does work better with different driver then trying a newer driver with dsm might help, but afair i had problems with that particular driver then doing the last extra.lzma for 6.2.2 ("experimental") so i used jun's in it, i think i know why but as i'm on testing for 3615/17 now it will take 2 weeks before i will do 918+ again

you can try a usb nic but dsm is picky about that (not as much drivers as usual linux distributions have)

a alternative could also be to user a usb drive with open media vault on it in the meantime, thats my plan "B" when dsm should have hickups and i need to use my data on the dsm data partition (omv should automatically detect the data raid partition on boot - at least it did as i tested it)

edit: heat can be a factor too, try to push cold air into the narrow housing or leave it open and use a fan from above to have planty of cooling to test if that helps

I used Linux until just a month ago and I didn't have this problem, which is why I decide that something fails me in DSM exclusively.
It is not a problem of excessive severity, so I can wait a couple of weeks for you to build the new extra.Izma and try it, to see if I have more luck.

At the moment I have activated the fan at maximum speed and I have removed the housing, in case it is a problem of cooling as you comment. Thank you very much for the help sir.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:33 PM, IG-88 said:

There has been no luck friend, even with the fan at maximum power and the system very very cool network cuts still occur. I only have to update drivers, but the matter really matters to me. I look forward to seeing if you get it soon, I will be attentive to your modified loader thread. Thanks for everything 😉

• 1 year later...

I have that same problem (link down link /link up ) but only in one configuration, when i have download torrent, and this same time watch movie from DLNA (media serwer), and i'ts not hardwarde problem, no resucers etc. then can be torrent download at 1kb, 1 peer, and watch 360p movie , when LAN connection is at 100kbps, and boom link down, link up ;/ I test me LAN and it's work at full gigabit sped, i copy 8TB of data and nothing happen, no link down. 

intel D2500CC   DS1019+

Gigabit LAN Intel 82574L

DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4