XPEnology Community

One build and many doubts

carlosgt

Hey there! I had been using xpenology for a few years as a VM on my computer but... now it's time to build a standalone NAS.

This machine will be used as media server(4k transcoding is not necessary now but it would be desirable if it was an option for the future), data back up- cloud, TS server and sometimes, running a VM.

I would like to know if it is possible to use this machine as NAS and HTPC at same time, using "virtual machine manager" or esxi to run xpenology + openelec (for example). This is not really necessary but it would be a huge plus.

And now...hardware time. I already own parts as 3x4tb WD red (raid5), 1 samsung ssd (I don't know if it is worth to use it as cache), nvidia gtx 750ti and a Corsair VS650 psu.

I would like to get new parts like intel 8th/9th gen processor (i3 8100, i3 9100f, i5 8400...) but I haven't found much info about this. I would like a board with at least 6 sata ports and WOLcompatibility. I'm open to any hardware suggestions

Sorry if I have done some mistakes as English is not my native language 🙄 and thanks for your time trying to help me 😅

Edited by carlosgt

3 hours ago, carlosgt said:

nvidia gtx 750ti

waste of hardware and energy, with dsm you can only user intel gpu features, so just leave it out and use the cpu integrated gpu

also you won't miss anything on the monitor out, its just used for the bootloader, anything after that will go to a serial console

8th gen cpu with gpu will be fine, intel gpu is needed to have hardware transcoding, so not "F" type cpu as they are without gpu, you might think about a "T" type to save energy and heat (less heat = more silent)

try to have more then one pci-e slots (extra sata ports and 10G nic) so something bigger then mini-ITX might be good

i use a gigabyte B360M HD3

13 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

waste of hardware and energy, with dsm you can only user intel gpu features, so just leave it out and use the cpu integrated gpu

also you won't miss anything on the monitor out, its just used for the bootloader, anything after that will go to a serial console

8th gen cpu with gpu will be fine, intel gpu is needed to have hardware transcoding, so not "F" type cpu as they are without gpu, you might think about a "T" type to save energy and heat (less heat = more silent)

try to have more then one pci-e slots (extra sata ports and 10G nic) so something bigger then mini-ITX might be good

i use a gigabyte B360M HD3

Thank you so much for your help, what do you think about Gigabyte B365M-D3H? I think that it will be , more or less, the same but adding 9th gen compatibility and more ram/sata/pci slots

Edited by carlosgt

5 minutes ago, carlosgt said:

what do you think about Gigabyte B365M-D3H?

mine was chosen because its only slightly deeper then a mini-itx board (special because of my case) and 9th gen is working too (with B360M)

the B365 is pretty much the same, i'd not expect problems (afair the 365 was not entirely better then 360, more or less the same)

B365M board will be at least one year newer so longer bios support

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

mine was chosen because its only slightly deeper then a mini-itx board (special because of my case) and 9th gen is working too (with B360M)

the B365 is pretty much the same, i'd not expect problems (afair the 365 was not entirely better then 360, more or less the same)

B365M board will be at least one year newer so longer bios support

so this will be my choice except for the PSU , I hope that I won't have many compatibility issues 😅
https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/xVnxcq

Do you know anything about my "HTPC+NAS" doubt?

you might read the following to get a glimpse what other people using

don't be so quick, if you find people with 9th gen gpu and working transcoding a 9th gen might be a better choice

my choice for gigabyte was mostly because of the dimensions (and having 2 or more pci-e slots)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12867-user-reported-compatibility-thread-for-dsm-62/page/2/#comments

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/22482-dsm-622-24922-update-4/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-126408

• Like 1