XPEnology Community

XPEnology on bare metal + VMM or ESXi with XPEnology

schrapnel

Question

Hi guys, 

I've recently acquired HP Microserver Gen8 I intend to use for home lab and I have a question on what's the best approach.

1. Install XPEnology on bare metal and provision another VMs as in DSM built-in VMM

2. Install ESXi on Gen8 and provision XPEnology as one of many VMs on VMWare

Thanks for any advice.

3 answers to this question

On 11/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, schrapnel said:

Hi guys, 

I've recently acquired HP Microserver Gen8 I intend to use for home lab and I have a question on what's the best approach.

1. Install XPEnology on bare metal and provision another VMs as in DSM built-in VMM

2. Install ESXi on Gen8 and provision XPEnology as one of many VMs on VMWare

that depends on what you are planing to do, if its more nas and server role (use docker instead of vm's) then its baremetal

if its more about experimenting with virtualization like training for a professional environment and nas is just same small part then its esxi

it might also depend on how you plan to do backups for your nas, or if the hardware in question supports vt-d and you want to use a that to have the whole controller with its disk inside the dsm vm (or do you accept to have virtual disks on esxi to have them in dsm)

also a factor is the user base of the nas, if its the whole family the a less experimental dedicated baremetal would be the choice

virtualization can also be handled on a desktop with virtualbox and if the nas storage is connected with 10G network you can use this with vm's keeping a good performance (in most cases 1-2TB local ssd storage on that desktop can do better)