XPEnology Community

usb 3.1 gen 2 or Thunderbolt Z390 work?

Captainfingerbang

Question

I'm curious if a Z390 motherboard with onboard USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) or onboard Thunderbolt 3 (32Gbps) would work for full speed or faster than USB 3.0 with ,file transfers in Xpenology?

Or possibly even an add on card would work?

This hypothetical build would have all SSD's for an array

Using baremetal or otherwise.

14 answers to this question

not sure it it will ever work with synology, they don't support it ootb

not sure if this would be possible with additional drivers, i will not do anything in that direction, to exotic and to expansive

a usb 5G or pcie 10G nic is cheaper and much more common, even if you buy two mellanox x3 cards it will be cheaper then the mentioned 10G thunderbolt to 10G ethernet adapter

you would need to build your own thunderbolt driver and experiment with it (plan 10-20h to find out if you not have a build environment and need to learn on the way about how to compile your own driver )

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

I should have asked this question a totally different way.

I am going to Swap out the motherboard in my Xpen 918+ with new one.

The new board is Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac  seen Here

My question is: Will I be able to use any of the features below that are included on the motherboard with baremetal 918+ Xpenology 1.04b?

• 1x Intel Thunderbolt™ 3 Type-C
  • 2 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4)
  • 4x USB 3.1 Gen2 10Gb/s 

Can Anyone help answer this?

If this is a ridiculous question tell me so!

I dont think there is any Synology with a Thunderbolt 3 so your normal DSM probably doesnt even have those drivers in it.

You have a better chance with 40Gbe NIC - ConnectX-4 Lx EN MCX4131A-BCAT

You can find all the compatible NICs on Synology's Compatibility list: 

https://www.google.com/search?ei=pbDkXaf5F5LE0PEPu-yN6Ao&q=synology+compatible+nic&oq=synology+compatible+nic&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30.37473.42085..42251...0.2..0.82.1035.15......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131i67j0j0i131j0i273.yvQiChzmaU0&ved=0ahUKEwjn357DrJbmAhUSIjQIHTt2A60Q4dUDCAs&uact=5

Edited by test4321

I have similar baremetal setup
918+ Xpenology 1.04b 
DSM 6.2.2-24922-4

MB: Asrock Z390M-ITX/ac

5x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A ports (10 Gbps)
1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port (10 Gbps)

I can confirm that none of the USB 3.1 Gen2 ports work "out-of-the-box" on that MoBo.

The connected Samsung T5 USB 3.1 Gen2 external SSD doesn`t seen by DSM in neither Type-A ports, nor Type-C port.

This is the only  USB 3.1 Gen2 external storage I have, so it might be the problem with this particular external SSD, though.

But it works with old external HDD USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen1) external HDD in the USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A ports.

So there is no USB 3.1 Gen2 for me in XPEnology at the moment )

2019-12-24_08-35-12.png

Edited by Outrullers

i can now confirm that both my usb 3.1 gen 2 type C on my z390 asrock (918+) and the usb 3.1 gen 2 TYPE A both are wicked fast when i connect my   MyDigitalSSD M2X Portable USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 PCI with nvme 970 evo in it. It gets pcie gen 3 x2 speeds in windows, and nearly half (im only guessing) those speeds connected to my 918+. although the speeds are much less consistent connecting the external nvme to the xpenology. Still wicked fast though.

I SO wish i had the money, because id just go out and buy Sonnets Thunderbolt 3 to 10gbe adapter to move masses of data from my windows machine to the ds918s.

Its something like this The adapter, but for christs sakes at $150+ i'll be waiting a bit. Annoying. Tired of seeing that same old 105mb/s speed when in fact ive got 10gbe cards in both my 918s AND my windows pc. Plus ive got TB3 lying around doing absolutely NOTHING on my laptop untill i get that Thunderbolt to 10gbe adapter. Just so frustrating, all my files are 50gb +!!!

2 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

ts something like this The adapter, but for christs sakes at $150+ i'll be waiting a bit. Annoying. Tired of seeing that same old 105mb/s speed when in fact ive got 10gbe cards in both my 918s AND my windows pc. Plus ive got TB3 lying around doing absolutely NOTHING on my laptop untill i get that Thunderbolt to 10gbe adapter. Just so frustrating, all my files are 50gb +!!!

i did drivers for Aquantia AQC111U (5Gbp)  on request and they are in the latest driver extension (you can search here for aqc111)

but an the other side of the (copper) cable you need a nic or switch that is aware of IEEE 802.3bz,NBASE-T

thats the adapters i know about:

QNAP QNA-UC5G1T

TRENDnet TUC-ET5G

not 10G but close enough - if your notebook supports usb3

В 02.01.2020 в 12:07, Captainfingerbang сказал:

both my usb 3.1 gen 2 type C on my z390 asrock (918+)

What is the model of your motherboard?

Are you sure that you have USB3.1 Gen2 (10 gbps) speeds and not "good old" 5 gbps of USB3.0 (3.1 Gen1)?

В 02.01.2020 в 12:07, Captainfingerbang сказал:

and nearly half (im only guessing) those speeds connected to my 918+

5 gbps is exactly half of 10 gbps )))

So sorry to take so long to get back, things have been crazy!

Im glad to report my Video proof of fast data transfer from USB drive to Xpenology via USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10gbps) 

These are the transfer speeds i am getting when transferring data from usb to my Xpenology 918+ through the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Interface (10Gbps) and vice versa, meaning from the Xpenology 918+ back to the USB drive via the same port/protocol.

This test is performed on Xpenology DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 5, with Gigabyte B360 HD3 and I3-8100 CPU and 8gb ddr4.

Usb drive is plugged into the RED USB 3.1 gen 2 port next to the HDMI port on the back of the Gigabyte B360 HD3.

The primary purpose for showing this video, is because i want my peers at the Xpenology community to know that its possible to transfer data at great speeds via USB 3.1 Gen 2, without any drivers or anything additional.

I've spoken to quite a few people in the community who cant get ports like this to work at all or not even recognized. I have also transferred data at great speeds via a Thunderbolt 3 port built right into the motherboard (different motherboard) without any drivers installed or extra work.

You will see in this vid that the data transfer speeds copying roughly 2-4gb to the Xpenology from USB and Vice Versa range from around 500MB/s to 700MB/s.

This may not be the fastest transfer speeds around, but i certainly NEVER have had data transfer this fast via USB to and from my Xpenology prior to the new hardware upgrade, NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THIS Until i upgraded my server hardware to the newer intel 300 series with things such as built in USB 3.1 Gen 2 and TB3 and the 8th gen cpu.

Again, this is simply data transferring from a USB external drive to My Xpenology server, via USB 3.1 Gen 2. If i plug the same external drive into a different port, be it USB 3.0 or 2.0 the speed is MUCH slower.

I do not have Xpenology installed to a motherboard with Native thunderbolt 3 currently, but my next video/test (if i can afford the new card)is to plug in a PCIE Thunderbolt 3 card to this motherboard and record the transfer speeds of that, just like i did with this test video.

Thanks to all you here for making me and my nas very happy over the years. I hope this helps someone! 

screen.png

back panel.jpg

On 1/6/2020 at 4:04 AM, Outrullers said:

What is the model of your motherboard?

Are you sure that you have USB3.1 Gen2 (10 gbps) speeds and not "good old" 5 gbps of USB3.0 (3.1 Gen1)?

5 gbps is exactly half of 10 gbps )))

Gigabyte B360 HD3 z390 is the motherboard . Also works on Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4

screen.png

Edited by Captainfingerbang

On 1/2/2020 at 8:45 AM, IG-88 said:

i did drivers for Aquantia AQC111U (5Gbp)  on request and they are in the latest driver extension (you can search here for aqc111)

but an the other side of the (copper) cable you need a nic or switch that is aware of IEEE 802.3bz,NBASE-T

thats the adapters i know about:

QNAP QNA-UC5G1T

TRENDnet TUC-ET5G

not 10G but close enough - if your notebook supports usb3

following the thunderbolt thread.I've a Titan Ridge Card (two thunderbolt 3) that I ever never can't to adapt into MacServer OSX. So  -Do you think it's possible works with DSM 6.2 ? (Xpenology running under Gigabyte b365m ds3h) > because if run, its posible transfer data so fast inside my Lan net)

Edited by Mary Andrea

All i can say is try it man.

I'm getting closer to purchasing a TB3 card, the asus version is $25 on amazon.

My thought is these things come with their own chips, almost like they are their own entities similar to, for example,  a pcie to  sata AIC to get more sata ports. Right?

Again i'm no tech chip genius, but it might work? report back!

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

I'm getting closer to purchasing a TB3 card, the asus version is $25 on amazon.

My thought is these things come with their own chips, almost like they are their own entities similar to, for example,  a pcie to  sata AIC to get more sata ports. Right?

Again i'm no tech chip genius, but it might work? report back!

the thing i know is that tb was introduced with kernel 4.13 and synology uses 3.10.105 and 4.4.59, so its not just changing a switch in the kernel config and having a driver

so if you can backport kernel drivers and add this to the synology kernel source ...