XPEnology Community

Is a HP Microserver N54L a good choice for a new basic fileserver build?

riff

Question

Hi there,

I am looking to come to Xpenology from another solution, and I remeber back a few years the Microserver was a good base build for Xpenology and wondering if that was still the case.

It will only be for NAS duties, I am aware of the processor limitations.

Ben.

9 answers to this question

4 hours ago, jensmander said:

Yes - as @bearcat said - it is still a good choice. Do you want to use DSM's "special" features or apps? If you want a simple fileserver only and more future stability think about OMV.

Thanks for the reply. I liked its ease of use, but app wise, I did't see much I needed as I have a NUC doing my Plex and backup duties.  I'll check out OMV again. Im coming from Unraid, but backing up with lots of little files takes an large amount of time from my Unraid prod to Unraid backup box, so was looking for something with some more speed. I do like the idea of SHR.

SHR is intended for „simple“ RAID setups and for mixed HDD sizes. But it has it‘s drawbacks. If you have HDDs of equal size I would prefer classic setups over SHR (RAID 5, 6, 10). If your N54L is only acting as a (backup) fileserver OMV might be more preferable. With rsync enabled you can use it for Linux systems but with SMB/NFS also for Windows clients. 

17 hours ago, jensmander said:

Backup is always recommended, with or without "Hyper" 😀😉

Yes, it does a good job and offers to backup applications as well as files. You can define different targets.

I also have a real Synology which I put my time machine backups on so I know the interface. Looks better than my cobbled bvckup\freefilesync process over the network. 

Thanks for your help Jensmander. Ill still give OMV a run, see if I can do what I want with it.