XPEnology Community

HELP - DS1511+ Bootloader image or working Grub.conf

flewis

The Bootloader module in my DS1511+ is corrupted, and I've created a new one from a guide on the Russian side of the XPEnology forum, edited the "vender" and grub.conf files to correctly identify my MAC addresses, Serial Number and USB PID & VID values, but cannot for the life of me get it to install DSM successfully. It always crashes at 56/57% through the web GUI with error code 13, commonly associated with a lack of PID & VID definition. I've run Jun's bootloader and successfully installed it that way, as a DS3615xs, but even though this is a legitimate DS1511+ I cannot for the life of me, install the OEM software, to allow full online support & capability. Tried a few USB sticks but still no luck.

Does anyone have a working Bootloader image or Grub.conf file they can help me with? I'm unsure if the PID & VID definition is written wrongly, and this may help. Thanks!

Did you have a look at the boot image posted here ?

Seems like that might be inteded to be used on the original Synology boot-device. DSM5.2-5967.U.6 (it's old, but if it works you can update).

If I remember correct, the original Syno USB boot-device have a very specific VID/PID, 

and only a few "normal" USB sticks can be used when faking it with non-emulated Syno systems.

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

Did you have a look at the boot image posted here ?

Seems like that might be inteded to be used on the original Synology boot-device. DSM5.2-5967.U.6 (it's old, but if it works you can update).

If I remember correct, the original Syno USB boot-device have a very specific VID/PID, 

and only a few "normal" USB sticks can be used when faking it with non-emulated Syno systems.

Thank you, yes that was the image I used, but I might make sure I have the specific DSM you referenced. I was able to pull the VID & PID from the failed bootloader too, I might have another crack using those details

7 hours ago, bearcat said:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13011-generate-an-original-synology-usb-key/

with the right usb flash drive and the right tool you can do what manufacturer in china do and enter your own vid/pid

i did this last year but had not much use for it and gave it to someone here in the forum

i was using DynaMassStorageProductionTool, maybe even wrote about it here in the forum (can't remember)

that was the initiator article

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9897-flash-transplant/?tab=comments#comment-85621

edit:

still have one for testing

Device Type:  Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 500mA

USB Device ID: VID = F400 PID = F400
Device Vendor: Synology
Device Name: Diskstation
Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: Synology
Product Model: Diskstation
Product Revision: 0100

Controller Vendor: SMI
Controller Part-Number: SM3259AA1 - ISP 161122-DG1
Flash ID code:      45DE9493 - SanDisk SDTNRGAMA-008G - 1CE/Single Channel [MLC-16K] -> Total Capacity = 8GB

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1