XPEnology Community

Migration from Synology to XPEnology

myfirstnas

Hi!  Great site here.  I would appreciate any advice on my migration from Synology 1812 to Xpenology.

I have an older system with a Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 motherboard.  I will check that the C1E function is disabled in the BIOS before proceeding with installation.  Specifications:  https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp

This motherboard has

2x SATA 6Gb/s

4x SATA 3Gb/s

8x SAS    3Gb/s

I am moving/migrating 8 hard drives from a Synology 1812+ so this seems lucky to have this motherboard available with so many connections available but unfortunately only 3 Gb/s for a lot of them.

Current configuration in Synology:

Model name: DS1812+

Current DSM Version:  DSM 6.0.3-8765 Update 8

DSM date:  2018/06/21

It is currently using SHR.

For XPEnology I will be installing loader 1.02b with DS3615.

1.  Should I just use the 8x SAS for the 8x hard drives?  Or should I start connecting the drives in order from the 2x SATA, 4x SATA, and then 2x SAS? 

-I read somewhere DSM displays the slot numbers funny sometimes?

2.  For this migration should I update to DSM 6.1.7 on the source Synology to keep the version the same or is it okay as long as the target bare metal destination is a higher DSM (XPEnology 6.1.7)

3.  For SHR there is this recommendation:

SHR can be re-enabled by editing the 'synoinfo.conf' file, located under '/etc.defaults'

Comment out (or delete) the line:

supportraidgroup="yes"

and add:

support_syno_hybrid_raid ="yes"

When do I make this change for SHR to the synoinfo.conf file?  - during installation or post-installation when I have one hard drive in during the ‘testing’ phase?  Or when I have the 8 hard drives in?

Will this change be enough to get me SHR2 as well in the future or is there another command line for that?

I think that’s it for now.

Thanks!!

6 x sata ahci - driver ahci in kernel of dsm

8 x sata by c600 SAS - driver isci, not fom dsm and not from jun, needs additional extra.lzma with driver!

1 x nic intel 82579V, driver e1000e, in dsm

1 x realtek 8111 nic, driver r8168, in jun's loader

so to get the sas working you will need something from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/91-additional-compiled-modules/

1 hour ago, myfirstnas said:

1.  Should I just use the 8x SAS for the 8x hard drives?  Or should I start connecting the drives in order from the 2x SATA, 4x SATA, and then 2x SAS? 

6 ports + 8 ports =14, dsm 3615/17 default is 12 ports and on bigger updates manually edited config is overwritten if you don't need 14 then i'd go with leaving the last two ports unused, so using at least 2 sata ports would be preferable, i'd go 6xsata and 2x from sas

definitely prevents trouble when updating

if you insist on sas then you can try to disable onbiard sata and check if they also "vanish" in dsm and the 8 ports of the sas get to be ports 1-8 in dsm

-I read somewhere DSM displays the slot numbers funny sometimes?

you can check that before moving you disks, use a usb flashdrive and one disk for installing dsm (as test) and a 2nd disk you connect later (does not need to be part of dsm, so dont initilalize or make it part of a raid), move the free disk to different ports to check if there is anything unusual with the mapping, when the mapping is fixed but different from what to expect just label the cables accordingly

(if you dont have a 2nd disk you can also move the one "aktive" dsm disk, should work too)

2.  For this migration should I update to DSM 6.1.7 on the source Synology to keep the version the same or is it okay as long as the target bare metal destination is a higher DSM (XPEnology 6.1.7)

you might loose some plugins anyway as you are changing (migration) the system type to "bromolow" (in case of 3615)

having 6.1.7 already does not hurt and might minimize losses but imho its not needed for what you want to do

When do I make this change for SHR to the synoinfo.conf file?  - during installation or post-installation when I have one hard drive in during the ‘testing’ phase?  Or when I have the 8 hard drives in?

you don't have to at all, dsm will recognize the existing shr and use it (even when "disabled" in the conf), the settings in the conf just prevents you from creating a new shr, so you can change this later

Will this change be enough to get me SHR2 as well in the future or is there another command line for that?

when it comes to the shr mode in the conf then there is no difference if its shr1 or shr2, the hybrid mode is for 1 and 2 disk redundancy

when shr is enabled you will be able to use the gui the normal way to handle shr1 and shr2

Thank you for your help!

I will go with the 6x SATA and 2xSAS as it seems less complicated and better for any updates. 

I won't have more than 8 drives as I'm just migrating over the 8 drives. 

Thank you for letting me know about the additional extra.lzma with driver that I'll have to load to use even the 2X SAS. I've read the link a bit but is this while I am creating the USB?  It will inject these additional drivers at that time? 

Do I need to do anything for the Intel or realtek NICs or are you saying they are already included and should work as is? 

Or even for the two NICs I will need to use another additional compiled module? 

I was planning on using the Xpenology tool to create the USB.  

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12422-xpenology-tool-for-windows-x64/

Will this let me use the appropriate additional compiled modules? 

Thanks for your help so far! 

19 hours ago, myfirstnas said:

I'll have to load to use even the 2X SAS. I've read the link a bit but is this while I am creating the USB?  It will inject these additional drivers at that time? 

it meant to be used after reading the normal tutorial

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

you just copy/replace the extra.lzma to the 2nd partiton of juns laoder, can be done fore writing it to usb (with osfmount) or after it by just plugging th eusb to a windows pc

Do I need to do anything for the Intel or realtek NICs or are you saying they are already included and should work as is? 

all drivers that come with the original extra.lzma from jun int the loader are included in the extended version

I was planning on using the Xpenology tool to create the USB.  

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12422-xpenology-tool-for-windows-x64/

Will this let me use the appropriate additional compiled modules? 

no problem there is osfmount in that and as written above just copy the new extra.lzma to the usb as last step, windows 10 will only recognize the 2nd partition so you will have no choice what to open, just replace the original file and you are good to go

create your usb and test it with a empty disk, if all the hardware is recognized you can do the same with your 8 disks in the new system, boot the usb, "migrate" from 1812 to 3615 or 3617

Just to update my progress.

I have my test DSM 6.1.7 up and running!  Thank you for your help!

I used the extra.lzma as you recommended and put it on Partition 1.

DSM is recognizing 12 slots - 11 empty.

I've turned off automatic updates and set to manual - it has found DSM 6.1.7 15284 Update 3 available for download/install - is it okay to do this as long as it remains DSM 6.1.7 (using loader 1.02b) or best just to leave as is?  

I think the main takeaway was to never go to DSM 6.2 with this loader.  And that 1.02b and 6.1.7 is a very stable combination..

2.  Package centers - can these be updated no problems?  I would think as long as the package doesn't require DSM6.2 to run?

3.  I came across this link and think this could be useful for future repairs needed to other DSM systems:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7062-memo-raid-recovery-method/

I think this link is the current recommended way (esp post 5 and further😞

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12778-tutorial-how-to-downgrade-from-62-to-61-recovering-a-bricked-system/

Are all bare metal XPEnology 'hot swap' disk slots?  Post 1 in the second link is adding new drives while the PC is ON - is this really safe to do?  I would think Post 5 is safer.

I think I would follow Post 5 and do a shutdown in between adding all the data drives. 

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, myfirstnas said:

2.  Package centers - can these be updated no problems?  I would think as long as the package doesn't require DSM6.2 to run?

even if, loader 1.03b does work with 6.2.2 it "only" needs new drivers and that can be done

6 hours ago, myfirstnas said:

Are all bare metal XPEnology 'hot swap' disk slots?  Post 1 in the second link is adding new drives while the PC is ON - is this really safe to do?

in general i'd say its a combination of hard and software, hotplug with standard sata cables (power and data)  is not "safe", if you try to connect hot and do it the wrong way with the right angle and force you can short circuit or over power, definitely not recommanded

the "elegant" way and keeping all settings is still to boot up a recovery linux assemble the mdadm raid1 of all system partitions and change the version file "\etc.defaults\VERSION" but that's to complicated for most people