XPEnology Community

Newbie advice: installing for the first time

elvosparsley

Hi,

I'm after a quick heads up on the the most pain free way to install this on my current setup. Please be gentle! :smile:

My current setup is a Shuttle XPC, 4Gb RAM, with 8Gb SSD drive for the OS and 2 separate different size drives for vids, music etc.

My current OS is OpenMediaVault, but I'm not happy with the performance of it, so I was looking at switching to this OS as it seems to get thumbs up all round.

However I am confused about builds available to use, 4.2, 4.3, 5 etc and considering the recent malware released which affects some versions of 4.3, I'd like to install with a stable build that won't be hit as soon as I fire it up.

Also will I have to reformat, as part of the install, the two separate drives so that the OS will see them? I have the data backed up externally so not a problem, but does this mean after the install is finished I'll be able to push the data back to mounted volumes that I used to have e.g. Music, Film, TV etc?

And finally(!) will the OS be installed onto the SSD drive and will I still need a USB drive to boot from?

Many thanks in advance.

Use of the search is always a good place to start as there are lots of guides on here!

However:

I'd either go for 4.3 update 5 or 5.0-4493 Update 3. Whichever you decide on you'll have to apply the minor update manually, see guides for how to accomplish this.

Yes your disks will get reformatted by DSM, so you'll need to restore you data from your backups, after recreating any shares you need.

The USB drive in only used for booting from & is needed for every boot. The OS (DSM) is installed on all disks, I wouldn't bother installing the SSD personally.

Thanks for that, will get me started on my weekend project!. Shame the SSD can't be used for booting/containing the OS.

I did also find, after posting this, the guides on the .nl site very useful.

I also read there's a setting for SSD caching, is this worth trying? People have reported that it crashes the system, any thoughts?

Thanks for that, will get me started on my weekend project!. Shame the SSD can't be used for booting/containing the OS.

I did also find, after posting this, the guides on the .nl site very useful.

I also read there's a setting for SSD caching, is this worth trying? People have reported that it crashes the system, any thoughts?

Sell that SSD on eBay or use it on another system. DSM is smart enough to copy itself on all disks :smile:

For a good protection of your data, use 3 or more HDDs (preferably) of the same size.

Take a look at synology's raid configurator to see the advantages of different raid matrixes.

Good luck!