XPEnology Community

ASRock AM1B-ITX socket AM1 works all out of the box

hli

The AM1b-ITX cannot be compared with the Q1900-ITX unfortunately as the Q1900 comes with an embedded J1900 quad-core, low-powered Intel processor and the AM1B with no CPU.

Both boards can be used for XPEnology and both have advantages:

- AM1B-ITX can be fitted with another, more powerful 30W TDP CPU (that comes in handy only in transcoding cases-Plex)

- AM1B-ITX uses normal DIMMS DDR3 memory that can be used in a desktop and theoretically can be adjusted to more than 16GB of RAM (not that you'll need it on bare metal XPEnology) on the same 2 DIMM slots

- AM1B-ITX has a PCIe 16x port

- AM1B-ITX comes with more USB 2.0 ports (+2)

- AM1B-ITX comes with 4x SATA3 ports comparable with 2xSATA2 & 2xSATA3 ports (in case you don't run your XPEno box on SSD only, you'll not need more than SATA2)

- Q1900-ITX comes with an embedded low power, quad core, fanless, 10W max TDP CPU @ 2GHz

- Q1900-ITX comes with a mini-PCIe x1 port that can be fitted with a mSATA half-size SSD or half-size mSATA to SATA adapter (theoretically and practically, 7 disks can be installed on this board)

- Q1900-ITX consumes less power than the AM1B and is cooler and more silent due to fanless CPU and low power SO-DIMM capability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I would go now for building another XPEno box, I would definitively change the Q1900-ITX board with another one: the Q1900DC-ITX which is slightly expensive than the normal Q1900-ITX because it comes with a DC power adapter but it's definitively less expensive than a normal Q1900 with a PSU.

The DC version also comes in handy as you'll not need an internal power supply and therefore, your box is even more silent and less noisy!!! :grin:

If I would go now for building another XPEno box, I would definitively change the Q1900-ITX board with another one: the Q1900DC-ITX which is slightly expensive than the normal Q1900-ITX because it comes with a DC power adapter but it's definitively less expensive than a normal Q1900 with a PSU.

The DC version also comes in handy as you'll not need an internal power supply and therefore, your box is even more silent and less noisy!!! :grin:

I had the same thoughts until I realized I can buy a pico power supply which has the DC power input and plugs into any standard motherboard.