XPEnology Community

INSTALLATION ON PENTIUM D SYSTEM

BambosD

Hello Everyone,

my disaster backup is a branded HP Compaq with Intel Pentium D  3 GHz and 1 GB ram. (5800 series).

I'm trying to boot XPEnology with some errors and issues, that's why i need some help and guidance.

1. i put second ethernet on PCI slot, since the onboard is 100Mbps.  What MAC address i should use on the boot image ? onboard ethernet or PCI ethernet?

2. Do we have a compatibility issue because of the old system ?  Is it worth trying or not? (now is running windows 10, mirror 4TB disaster doing Goodsync backups and is ok).

Thank you.

3 hours ago, BambosD said:

What MAC address i should use on the boot image ?

The MAC of the second NIC (PCI) which will be used.

3 hours ago, BambosD said:

Do we have a compatibility issue because of the old system ? 

Depends on chipset and CPU type. Maybe loader 1.02b will work without problems (DSM 6.1 only). But if you intend to use it as a pure backup "server" maybe OpenMediaVault would be an option/alternative. It offers all classic NAS features (SMB, FTP, RSYNC, etc.). It's rsync features can be used for HyperBackup of other Synologys/XPEnologys.

I wanted to post a feedback for the community.

- The only bootloader that worked is:  DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b (MBR_Genesys).img

- The .pat i used is 6.1.7 DS3615xs with success.

- The only way to bypass the second PCI ethernet issue, was to disable the onboard lan and use the mac address of the PCI lan card.

- I had an error can't find hard disk when using the onboard sata ports (i guess compatibility issues), i resolve this by adding PCIe 1X sata card based on Marvel chipset.

- The system is stable

- Never had higher transfer rate than 48MB/sec.

Thanks for the support.

System: HP Compaq dx2200 microtower / 2X Ironwolf 2TB