XPEnology Community

Nvidia Runtime Library

disone

On 4/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, rcalt2vt said:

Anyone got versions of the nvidia driver that will work on a rs1221+?
The ones linked above give me `invalid module format`.

they sure will not match as they are made for dsm 6.2.3 kernel and that has a different version number for the kernel

for nvidia support with 7.0 there is redpill loader with DVA3221 support, that comes with nvidia drivers direct from synlogy

if you need drivers for you rs1221+ you can build them on your own, dsm offers kernel source for 7.0 and nvidia offers kernel source, thats how the drivers for 6.2.3 where made

new drivers from here will be most likely for units that are supported by redpill loader, not for any original unit, maybe if someone make drivers for v1000 base it might match up

18 hours ago, IG-88 said:

they sure will not match as they are made for dsm 6.2.3 kernel and that has a different version number for the kernel

for nvidia support with 7.0 there is redpill loader with DVA3221 support, that comes with nvidia drivers direct from synlogy

if you need drivers for you rs1221+ you can build them on your own, dsm offers kernel source for 7.0 and nvidia offers kernel source, thats how the drivers for 6.2.3 where made

new drivers from here will be most likely for units that are supported by redpill loader, not for any original unit, maybe if someone make drivers for v1000 base it might match up

Thanks, was afraid of that. Might give compiling the drivers a stab at some point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, medric said:

looking at install DS3617 or DS920 but wanted Nvidia gpu support. Do we have gpu drivers for any of those systems?

what dsm version? 920+ is only available for 7.x

if you already use 7.x than try DVA3221 from rp loader, platform is denverton and it was lately added in tinycore too

that one comes with build in nvidia drivers

• 1 month later...

I installed DVA3221 but still can't get Nvidia drivers to work with a GTX1050ti. Jellyfin runs fine with NONE hardware accelleration, but when I click on Nvidia NVENC I get the following error during playback; "This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format."

LOG:

[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x55654fab6380] Cannot load libcuda.so.1
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x55654fab6380] Could not dynamically load CUDA
Device creation failed: -1313558101.
Failed to set value 'cuda=cu:0' for option 'init_hw_device': Unknown error occurred
Error parsing global options: Unknown error occurred

I've been trying for 2 months to get acceleration working, first with QSV and now with Nvidia. It just doesn't seem possible!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 5:40 AM, Zowlverein said:

I'll try to write up some steps in a post when I have a chance. I'm not super confident that I have all the prerequisites listed out above as I also have Entware installed with some additional libraries - so if there is someone with a Nvidia card that wants to try out docker support it might be helpful in getting a complete/accurate guide. And btw, I have now tested with Jellyfin with hardware encoding and handbrake-nvenc (only works up to version 1.3 due to the older driver) and both are working in docker.

Yeah, you can go ahead an redistribute if they go offline - I'll also try to fork the github projects I modified to get to the working builds of ffmpeg and libnvidia-container. I would imagine it should also be possible to package the docker addons as an spk - just haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Hi!

I have an Nvidia card, but I don't know how I need to use the file you provided?
Can you provide a document telling me how to use them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im trying to add cuda to my container on 918+ and nvidia driver *.ko 3 files.
nvidia-smi gives:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Im use Quadro P620

Edited by Bullseye

Are we able get Nvidia for DS3622? I know this might be asked a lot but I have not seen any concreate answer. background I have LSI raid so DS920 and DVA1622 does not work after much testing and trials. DVA3221 which has Nvidia built-in, Can it support LSI Raid?

• Like 1

Hello,

Does someone knows how to add --runtime=nvidia in docker ?

I've read since docker 20.10 there is no need anymore for docker-nvidia2

https://docs.nvidia.com/ai-enterprise/deployment-guide/dg-docker.html

But I'm not sure our Synology docker package actually handle it.

When I try to start a container with --runtime=nvidia

it fails to start.

I've found some infos to add the conf in /etc/docker/daemon.json :

https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/31206-how-to-setup-nvidia-in-plex-docker-for-hardware-transcoding/&postID=233677#post233677

But file does not exist on Syno, and if I create it, it does not seems to work.

With @Zowlverein instructions, there is no nvidia-container-runtime in /usr/bin/

Only nvidia-container-runtime-hook symlinked to /usr/bin/nvidia-container-toolkit

I tried it :

# cat daemon.json 
{
  "runtimes": {
    "nvidia": {
      "path": "/usr/bin/nvidia-container-toolkit",
      "runtimeArgs": []
    }
  },
  "default-runtime": "nvidia"
}

Restarted docker and tried the --runtime parameter :

# docker run --runtime nvidia --gpus all nvidia/cuda:10.2-runtime nvidia-smi
docker: Error response from daemon: Unknown runtime specified nvidia.
See 'docker run --help'.

# docker system info
Client:
 Context:    default
 Debug Mode: false

Server:
 Containers: 6
  Running: 0
  Paused: 0
  Stopped: 6
 Server Version: 20.10.3
 Storage Driver: btrfs
  Build Version: Btrfs v4.0
  Library Version: 101
 Logging Driver: db
 Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
 Cgroup Version: 1
 Plugins:
  Volume: local
  Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
  Log: awslogs db fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
 Swarm: inactive
 Runtimes: io.containerd.runc.v2 io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux runc
 Default Runtime: runc
 Init Binary: docker-init
 containerd version: 3fa00912415f3e9c6f82dd72119179d599efd13b
 runc version: 31cc25f16f5eba4d0f53e35374532873744f4b31
 init version: ed96d00 (expected: de40ad0)
 Security Options:
  apparmor
 Kernel Version: 4.4.180+
 Operating System:  (containerized)
 OSType: linux
 Architecture: x86_64
 CPUs: 6
 Total Memory: 31.27GiB
 Name: DVA3221
 ID: ZKJT:3KVD:BSZU:X2SS:HRLW:D4PJ:VPZ3:XO5D:ZXR7:A2H2:CYPT:HLMR
 Docker Root Dir: /volume1/@docker
 Debug Mode: false
 Registry: https://index.docker.io/v1/
 Labels:
 Experimental: false
 Insecure Registries:
  127.0.0.0/8
 Live Restore Enabled: false

WARNING: No kernel memory TCP limit support
WARNING: No cpu cfs quota support
WARNING: No cpu cfs period support
WARNING: No blkio weight support
WARNING: No blkio weight_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.read_bps_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.write_bps_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.read_iops_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.write_iops_device support

Some help would be appreciated :)

Edit : I see there is a /volume1/@docker/runtimes/ folder, but it is empty.

Edited by Orphée

В 04.04.2022 в 23:10, IG-88 сказал:

It comes with old outdated drivers in Nvidia Runtime Library, 440.44 (Dec 2019) which works only with gpus released before Dec 2019:

1650(gddr5), 1660, some P2000, there must be some way to update drivers to 515.xx, I ve tried to replace new drivers with old in nvidia runtime library.spk but it doesnt want to install, give error that its incompatible with NVR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
В 15.08.2022 в 07:16, Dvalin21 сказал:

With the nvidia drivers, is it only the gtx 1050 that can't be installed? If others is their a list? I have a Dell Poweredge T320. Thanks

Give more info please. Which loader did you use? which dva3221 or 3219 did you use? Which gtx 1050 2gb or 3gb? Which brand and model of gpu? Have you modify bios? Was it in mining before? Becuase it should work since in original DVA3219 GTX1050 Ti works no problem as well as many other pascal gpus released before end of 2019 (except gpus with no NVENC such as GT1030)

Give more info please. Which loader did you use? which dva3221 or 3219 did you use? Which gtx 1050 2gb or 3gb? Which brand and model of gpu? Have you modify bios? Was it in mining before? Becuase it should work since in original DVA3219 GTX1050 Ti works no problem as well as many other pascal gpus released before end of 2019 (except gpus with no NVENC such as GT1030)
I think you just answered my question. And I didn't mean to write "can't". Any Nvidia gpu with Nvenc. I'll keep this mind. I haven't switch to the other platforms yet as I'm doing research to see what is best for me. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

3 часа назад, Dvalin21 сказал:

I think you just answered my question. And I didn't mean to write "can't". Any Nvidia gpu with Nvenc. I'll keep this mind. I haven't switch to the other platforms yet as I'm doing research to see what is best for me. Thanks for the response.

Not every Nvidia gpu has NVENC. Glad I answered your question.

Edited by dimakv2014

On 8/26/2022 at 1:27 PM, dimakv2014 said:

Not every Nvidia gpu has NVENC. Glad I answered your question.

Just wanted to post this here. I was able to search and came up with a list of gpus that is support (not all so expensive)

Here is the results of my search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

It gives a full list and lets you know if its nvenc enabled.

I was looking at gpus and they seem like they would be too big for my PE t320, so since Im using

Frigate NVR again, the alternative is to use any AMD HD 2000 or newer. 

I was able to choose the following (hoping this will be helpful with anyone else using dell server) 

Dell AMD HD 6350 https://www.newegg.com/dell-hd-6350/p/1FT-0001-00025 (Confirmed works for the T320, @ https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/T320-video-card-upgrade/td-p/4404427/page/2 )

В 31.08.2022 в 07:04, Dvalin21 сказал:

Just wanted to post this here. I was able to search and came up with a list of gpus that is support (not all so expensive)

Here is the results of my search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

It gives a full list and lets you know if its nvenc enabled.

I was looking at gpus and they seem like they would be too big for my PE t320, so since Im using

Frigate NVR again, the alternative is to use any AMD HD 2000 or newer. 

I was able to choose the following (hoping this will be helpful with anyone else using dell server) 

Dell AMD HD 6350 https://www.newegg.com/dell-hd-6350/p/1FT-0001-00025 (Confirmed works for the T320, @ https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/T320-video-card-upgrade/td-p/4404427/page/2 )

1. Your wikipedia has false information (Never ever use Wiki for information since its not official source and anyone can post there with false info).

Here is official info:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

You should look at

# OF
NVENC
/CHIP

2. AMD won't work since its Nvidia only supported by Synology in DVA3221 and DVA3219. As well as Intel CPU. There is different loader model with AMD cpus support and it doesnt have DVA functions.

Edited by dimakv2014

1. Your wikipedia has false information (Never ever use Wiki for information since its not official source and anyone can post there with false info).
Here is official info:
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new
You should look at
 # OF
NVENC
/CHIP
2. AMD won't work since its Nvidia only supported by Synology in DVA3221 and DVA3219. As well as Intel CPU. There is different loader model with AMD cpus support and it doesnt have DVA functions.

Thanks for the info, I'll be taking a look at it later. It would be better to have Nvidia. However I'm also limited since I would be installing it into a Dell PE T320. The Dell AMD 6350 is compatible and the Nvidia Quadro 4000 and 6000 series. Also noticed that Fridate only uses the NVDEC instead of NVENC. I have to make sure the Q series will even work for it.

Update: Looks like they have M6000 and P6000. I need to see if that will even work. If you know for certain of any others that might work let me know

В 09.09.2022 в 23:13, Kesra сказал:

@IG-88 thanks for your contribution to this topic, I don’t know anything about how to set this up, Recently I created my bare metal DS918+ 7.1, my specs are 32ram rtx2080 i79700.

and I would love if someone could help me get my rtx2080 to transcode plex.

many thanks.

Try older version of plex or wait till gpu driver will be updated or modified in synology, new version of plex requires newer driver than 440.44 which is currently installed for dva3219 and dva3221

"Starting with Plex Media Server v1.20.2, driver version 450.66 or newer is required for NVIDIA GPU usage."

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Edited by dimakv2014

I did a little research on updating gpu drivers to use more recent versions of nvidia gpus with dva3221, some older nvidia runtime library .spk can be still opened and extracted by 7zip and etc. But when drivers are being replaced with new ones it doesnt allow it to install, but found this guide how to create .spk package https://amigotechnotes.wordpress.com/2014/05/17/how-to-create-a-spk-for-synology-dsm-to-distribute-your-lamp/ using synology dev toolkit its possible to recreate it with latest drivers https://help.synology.com/developer-guide/release_notes.html

but question will it replace old 440.44 drivers or not on root level still remains. Maybe its possible to replace driver files manually through ssh. QNAP does update gpu drivers for nvidia often unlike synology(

Edited by dimakv2014