XPEnology Community

Help a noob - new build HP N40L

Leonhard

Hello,

I would like to build a NAS - HP40L with 8GB RAM with XPEnology for personal use,  storage and video streaming.

Most of  time, the video streaming(1080p &4K) will be used over LAN on a 4K LG TV so i wont need transcoding, as i understood. But sometimes i would like to access my video collection from mobile or laptop when i`m traveling. 

That setup it will be ok for my needs?
Can i add  4TB HDDS on N40L? - specs are 4x2TB hdds but idk if its hardware or software limitation.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, Leonhard said:

mobile or laptop when i`m traveling. 

You may need transcoding for remote access, since it's going to be limited by bandwidth between your house and remote location.  If you're using Plex, the clients default to 720p 2Mbps for remote connections, which you'll need to change.

1 hour ago, altas said:

what will not work is Hardware Transcoding... we have AMD and not Intel CPU, what is a recommended for Hardware Transcoding

i understand, so to resume... for direct play the N40L will be ok, but for remote play i`ll need hw transcodig witch N40L does not support.

it would be better if i buy a gen8 ? just found one at a fair price with intel G2020T@2.5GHZ CPU. ~240euros with  6GB RAM, 1x64gb ssd, 2x500gb HDD, 2x1TB  HDD 

thank you!

8 hours ago, Leonhard said:

just found one at a fair price with intel G2020T@2.5GHZ CPU.

no that's only ivy bridge, to old for 918+ image it needs at least 4th gen intel

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

open section

"CPU list for DS918+ Image - 4th gen Intel Core aka Haswell seems to be minimum requirement"

Edited by IG-88