XPEnology Community

Jun1.04b and RTL8111/8168/8411

mdurkin

Hi All,

I have a small mini PC, from China. Has a J5005 pentium silver chip, and I run proxmox with Jun1.04b DS918+, and latest 6.2.2 DSM.

However ideally I wanted to install baremetal. The NIC is RTL8111/8168/8411, under proxmox r8169 drive is loaded.

I get the 'usual' install issue of no network after reboot. I've tried using various extra.lzma files that others have used on some other ITX motherboards, but it's not coming back after reboot.

One question I did have was whether I should remove extra2.lzma from the synoboot file I am adding different extra.lzma files to. I tried a couple of times, but it's still not coming back.

So, has anyone managed to create a working 1.04b synoboot file that supports the realtek nics? If yes, could you share?

Of course, something else could be going on, hard to know as I don't have a serial console, but if someone has a working synoboot file with working realtek drives, I would try that.

Oh, just to add, I can't use 1.03 loader as it won't boot at all - need UEFI support I think on this mobo.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by mdurkin
additional info

23 hours ago, mdurkin said:

So, has anyone managed to create a working 1.04b synoboot file that supports the realtek nics?

the r8168 driver is part of 918+ image as it comes from synology and it has version 8.045.08 (same is in jun's extra.lzma)

you should be able to use loader 1.04b as it comes from jun

disconnect any monitor when trying to boot, i've seen crashes on boot when a monitor is connected

the j5005 is confirmed to work with 918+

did you try my extra/extra2 lzma's

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

OK, got a chance this evening. Created synoboot with those .lzma files replacing those in Jan's original 1.04b.

After install reboot, it never comes back. Tried removing the monitor.

mini pc is beelink gemini x55.

I think I'm going to be out of luck here. I don't have a serial to see what's happening...

Checked the x55, has a com port, no header pins. I could buy a usb cable and some header pins if no-one on here has any other ideas.

It does have a wifi adaptor, I wonder if that could cause issues. It's soldered, but maybe disable in the bios, not time to try tonight, seems like a long shot.

will see if anyone has ideas!

thanks,

Matt

i dont think soldering is woth the effort and might not work at all, the chip beside the com connector is missing, indicating there might be more to it then just some pin's, found a good link for your system

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/10/05/beelink-x55-review/

in the unlikely case the realtek driver 8.045.98 is to old for the chip onboard, after doing 3615/17 i will try to come up with a better version for 918+ and finding out why i could not compile a working new driver for realtek (8.047.04), that will be 1st thing to look at

one thing you can try is to install dsm 918+ on a different system and then move usb flash drive and hdd to your system you want to use, ive seen 2 or 3 cases where it worked

(would mean to remove the mSATA and using a 2,5" SATA disk)

Ooo - good idea. I had to do that with proxmox on the older version, then modify grub due to broken things in the motherboards UEFI implementation. I'll try that out and report back.

Funnily enough I was looking at the com port pins picture on that review and didn't notice the missing chip. Well spotted. I do see this in dmesg which looks a bit like it might be a serial port.

00:01: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A

Look forward to your new version, and in the meantime I'll have a go in a different machine - thanks for your help on this.

1 hour ago, mdurkin said:

which looks a bit like it might be a serial port.

00:01: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A

if that is in the log then the com is present, i thought it  would need some multi i/o chip and that might not be present in a legacy free mini pc

still some work to add pin's and you need a null modem cable, just for one quick look (it is handy if you install often on different hardware or try to add (network) drivers and even in the nic case in  most cases you add one that works and can look for the problem after install in the log as you have pcie slots in most cases

I can confirm that the USB stick and SSD I was using on the Beelink X55 boot absolutely fine on an alternate machine (i5 5257U with 2 x Realtek 8168 NICS).

So the synoboot, extra files, and SSD I'm installing DSM on are all fine. Just something it doesn't like about the mini pc.

If you produce a new version I will test. I haven't soldered any com pins (I would need to buy them and a USB serial adapter).

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 months later...