XPEnology Community

A couple of comments on other parts of your post:

7 hours ago, reDDevil said:

But reading this post I understand that ex490 and ex485 use different LAN drivers

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14496

DSM is not Ubuntu.  The whole network subsystem is different.

You can see which DSM network driver is in use by running lspci -k and looking for the device with Class 0200.  The kernel module will be displayed underneath.

Since HP is a headless server I can not check what is going wrong there at the time of boot

You have network access, all the logs you may need are in /var/log/messages or in the kernel dump dmesg

Also probably this is a problem of Sata driver which DSM is trying to use with my hardware

Virtually every machine on the planet running DSM (and not using a RAID controller) is using the generic AHCI driver.  Unless your controller is broken, this is not an issue. Plus our tests pretty much exonerate the disk subsystem.

12 часа назад, flyride сказал:

First, correct whatever is causing the packet drops. If it continues, it skews test results and makes it difficult to objectively evaluate tests or changes.  Then, I would try tests comparing both Windows and Mac using other protocols, like FTP, NFS or even just downloading directly from DSM File Station.  It would be interesting if you can isolate the poor performance to a specific file protocol.

Hello again. Thank you very much for keeping me updated. I am not sure that this a correct test but I connected NAS directly to my Windows notebook with the same RJ45 cable (no router, no switch between them) and I wish to share the results with you first of all to understand my next steps: I could reach File Station of DSM and downloaded a file from there into Notebook. The download speed was about 32.5MB (according to the Monitoring of DSM). I also checked the speed with LAN speed test software. The read/write speed is 84/92MBps to/from both my DSM pools. As you can see the read speed is much faster in such way. What shall I do next with such test results?

Edited by reDDevil

But again... A friend of mine (who should join this discussion later) has same issue with absolutely different network setup. He also has lost packets from DSM to his iMac but in addition he has the original Synology where he also has lost packets to iMac but at the same time he has not any complaints for write/read speeds in his network with original Synology

Edited by reDDevil

17 часов назад, flyride сказал:

First, correct whatever is causing the packet drops. If it continues, it skews test results and makes it difficult to objectively evaluate tests or changes.  Then, I would try tests comparing both Windows and Mac using other protocols, like FTP, NFS or even just downloading directly from DSM File Station.  It would be interesting if you can isolate the poor performance to a specific file protocol.

Well. I have no idea how it is possible but I could reach normal read speed ONLY from Windows (same rj45 outlet and cable as iMac is connected), only through CIFS, and only directly through IP address of DSM. Ie: If I am connecting to DSM as \\192.168.1.30\video the speeds in Lan Speed test and in File Explorer are: 87/98MBps. As soon as I am connected as \\HPEX485\video (ie manually or through Network icon in File Explorer) the speeds are 78/1.82MBps.

At the same time, If I am connected to DSM from iMac through smb://192.168.1.30/video and trying to do LAN Speed test or download a file from /video shared folder the speed is dramatically low about 150KBps
Also I made a check of downloading speed via browser through File Station: on iMac it is about 6.4MB/s (according to Resource Monitor), on Windows it is about 40MB/s
So I do not understand anything what is going wrong there :(

2021-03-04_14-53-00.png

2021-03-04_14-56-24.png

Edited by reDDevil

19 часов назад, flyride сказал:

You can see which DSM network driver is in use by running lspci -k and looking for the device with Class 0200.  The kernel module will be displayed underneath.

0000:02:00.0 Class 0200: Device 10ec:8168 (rev 02)

Subsystem: Device 10ec:8168

Kernel driver in use: r8168

19 часов назад, flyride сказал:

You have network access, all the logs you may need are in /var/log/messages or in the kernel dump dmesg

I can see these records there as soon as I connect an external USB LAN adapter. But I can not see it as a LAN2 in DSM as well as there is no new client in DHCP list of the router with MAC address of the adapter . If I reboot DSM with USB LAN adapter plugged, the DSM doesn't start

[176300.759029] usb 2-3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci

[176301.219237] ax88179_178a 2-3:1.0 eth1: register 'ax88179_178a' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-3, ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 Gigibit Ethernet, ##:##:##:##:##:4d

Edited by reDDevil

6 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

you could try jun's loaders for 6.0 and 6.1 to see if there is any difference

Are you sure? That was the answer to flyride on my question how to check current driver for internal NIC (not external AX88179) which I am trying to make working to check my guess with low read speed through internal NIC 

1 hour ago, reDDevil said:

Are you sure?

are you still looking for help or you just want to fool around?

why would i make the effort and take the time to write it?

check my guess with low read speed through internal NIC

by having a positive (r/w good) with another driver you could still rule out hardware problems with the nic

with older dsm versions you get a older driver, might work differently, the way to prepare the loader is the same as for 6.2, so it should be done easily

you can also try open media vault, maybe you get better results with that, lots of things are there too, the gui is not as flashy as dsm's but depending on what you look for in as NAS it might work for you too

1 час назад, IG-88 сказал:

are you still looking for help or you just want to fool around?

why would i make the effort and take the time to write it?

I am really sorry for misunderstanding caused because of my bad English. I just wanted to ask if you correctly understood according which adapter (internal or external) I used lspci -k to discover kernel driver used.

В 03.03.2021 в 22:04, flyride сказал:

You believe you have a network driver problem but the results do not implicate the hardware or hardware drivers. This suggests a physical network issue or a protocol/configuration problem (however, I would absolutely try an extra.lzma with a newer network driver version if faced with your results).

Ten minutes ago I accidentally found a SIMPLE solution which solved slow reed speed issue to any device in my network (iMac, Windows, SmartTV, etc.)

There seems to be a bug with MTU in DSM or a driver.

By default the settings are Auto for MTU there but do not work correctly.

To fix that it is necessary go to Control Panel / Network / Network Interface

Choose LAN 1, then Edit. Tick a box "Set MTU value manually" and choose 1500 MTU value. Press OK.

After that you will see that MTU settings are reverted back to Auto. Tick a box "Set MTU value manually" again and choose 2000 MTU value. Press OK.

That is all. The MTU will be set manually to 2000 and all issues with low read speed from DSM are gone for any devices in my network.

Now DSM works just like "The Fast and the Furious" 😃

It's a pity that finding this solution took a whole week. Hope, my experience will help others in such situation

Thank you flyride and IG-88 for a discussion

MTU.png

Edited by reDDevil

2000 MTU is an abnormal network setting; 1500 bytes is standard (hence the Auto) and Jumbo frames are an optional standard (9000 bytes). Others should not think to adopt 2000 MTU as a solution. But this is exactly why I asked about Jumbo frames in the beginning.  One of your other devices has a non-standard MTU setting for this change on DSM to have had any effect.

The way this can be an issue is if you have a router in the data path and it is having to break up the packets and reform them because of dissimilar MTUs.  This should not normally happen on a LAN (all devices should be able to directly deliver packets without a router) but if your network masks are wrong, it may force the packets into the router for processing when they would not normally be.  Also something I asked about in the beginning.

I'm bringing this up now, because there is still an underlying problem which has not been resolved, which you have now sidestepped by increasing MTU. And there is probably still a performance problem, but manifested in a different way.  It may be negative impact to your NAS writes, or maybe your Internet upload speed is slower, etc. But it is possible that you might not care or the affected function is not heavily used by you.

None of this is a DSM issue, it's simply basic networking.

5 hours ago, reDDevil said:

It's a pity that finding this solution took a whole week

Really? Is that you being critical of this community, or you being critical of yourself?  'Cause we are all here for fun and pleasant exchanges, and we all participate for free.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 2

46 минут назад, flyride сказал:

2000 MTU is an abnormal network setting; 1500 bytes is standard (hence the Auto) and Jumbo frames are an optional standard (9000 bytes). Others should not think to adopt 2000 MTU as a solution. But this is exactly why I asked about Jumbo frames in the beginning.  One of your other devices has a non-standard MTU setting for this change on DSM to have had any effect.

1500 MTU can not be fixed manually in the settings of DSM unfortunately with unknown reason and I don't have enough experience to dig this issue deeper.

48 минут назад, flyride сказал:

Really? Is that you being critical of this community, or you being critical of yourself?  'Cause we are all here for fun and pleasant exchanges, and we all participate for free.

Of course not. Sorry if I could offend you personally or community by my words. I just want to say that after my experiments as "blind kitten" I could find some threads through google by the request "dsm slow speed mtu" to see that some people found this way also as a decision of the problem. I have no Idea what may be wrong with a whole infrastructure. I gave you several times the explanations that other NASes including original Synology are working perfect in the same infrastructures without any tuning of MTU on them. So what shall I think as an ordinary user? The problem is at the client or at the server? I made a decision that at the server,  and manipulations with MTU on DSM prove that. Sorry if I am wrong. But now it works as it should 

1 час назад, flyride сказал:

I'm bringing this up now, because there is still an underlying problem which has not been resolved, which you have now sidestepped by increasing MTU. And there is probably still a performance problem, but manifested in a different way.  It may be negative impact to your NAS writes, or maybe your Internet upload speed is slower, etc. But it is possible that you might not care or the affected function is not heavily used by you.

Let's go deeper into this issue. I agree to make as much experiments and tests as need with pleasure if it may be useful for community. I just don't know where to seek :(

1 час назад, flyride сказал:

One of your other devices has a non-standard MTU setting for this change on DSM to have had any effect.

All devices are set to dhcp. Excluding just some of them to have the fixed IP address from the router. No more abnormal manual settings

I was revisiting our discussion to give it a second thought and doing some further tests on my system. 
First of all, it is never enough to show appreciation once again to you guys (flyride, ig-88) for your contribution and help on the matter. 
Secondly, I think I shall give flyride an extra credit for your critical judgment, whereas critical should for the most part stand for objective and unbiased approach, and where it comes to each of the following: 

В 06.03.2021 в 19:06, flyride сказал:

None of this is a DSM issue, it's simply basic networking.

- My conclusions leading to narrowing the problem source down exclusively to DSM are wrong. Or not ultimately right and choiceless to say it another way. At least, by the very idea that one cannot be 100% certain of such unless proven otherwise. Instead, it just seemed to be "obvious" to me. Which isn't the same as "ultimately true".

В 06.03.2021 в 19:06, flyride сказал:

- 2000 MTU is not a standard MTU setting, and shall be potentially avoided by others as a solution indeed. 

- It can very well be indeed, that there is still an underlying problem with the network setup and behavior. Even if a workaround helps eliminating the issue I'm facing. The biggest issue for me here - for the sake of identifying a true cause of the issue as well as potentially contributing to the community (if, by any means, a flaw is found in the loader build or DSM or driver or whatever) - to find a cause of network issues and I must admit that  I feel like I'm in dark, having no clue what to do, as I lack expertise in this. 

Again I would repeat myself, that I'm willing to devote as much time and effort as can potentially be required to nail this down, providing I (hopefully) get some guidance and suggestions from the community members, who have more expertise in the field (and some time to devote themselves to this). 

At a same time, I don't need special skills to experiment further, eg with other devices and compare its behavior at least, so this is where I continue to at the moment. I would like to emphasize, that whatever results I'm having and as much as I'm eager to share it here (follows further below) with the community, such shall not be seen as if I'm pushing further my idea of blaming DSM as a source of the issue. However, these findings, albeit indirectly, still can help others as well as give a hint of where the problem really lies. 
Having said all this, I however think that the same critical and an unbiased approach shall be followed when considering DSM as an alternative potential cause of the problem. Meaning: as well as I might have issues with network, the DSM might have issues, too. 
One very important note or correction to make here: DSM itself shall be left alone. Its not about it, but rather - about the loader and/or the driver that handles network connection and only IF such is a case. To rephrase: we shall neither exclude my network setup flaw, nor the potential flaw possibility in the loader and/or any such element in this chain, which is responsible for handling the network transport and its parameters and settings. The DSM itself - providing it is not being adjusted during the installation - is taken "as is" from the Synology website, so there indeed could be nothing wrong with it. However, the way how loader and/or DSM handles the hardware it wasn't originally designed for - potentially might cause issues, might it not?

As for my findings: 
- First of all, I've tried to adjust MTU setting back to 1500 in the DSM. Unfortunately,  it doesn't work this way. So my previous solution is indeed not a solution, but a workaround of a sort. Probably a valid one, but no more than a workaround, meaning that there still might be a network issue somewhere.

В 06.03.2021 в 11:57, IG-88 сказал:

by having a positive (r/w good) with another driver you could still rule out hardware problems with the nic

with older dsm versions you get a older driver, might work differently, the way to prepare the loader is the same as for 6.2, so it should be done easily

you can also try open media vault, maybe you get better results with that, lots of things are there too, the gui is not as flashy as dsm's but depending on what you look for in as NAS it might work for you too

- I've taken the effort of installing  the FreeNAS 9.10.2 onto my HP ex485. Immediately upon installation that went successfully, I've been receiving "proper" speeds on both read and write without any need to tinker with settings. 
- The FreeNAS on HP ex485 has an MTU settings of 1500 and it seems to work just fine.  

2021-03-07_20-21-29.png.55f65415dbf1858f62b872bfc605d228.png

I would yet again repeat myself that I'm in no way posting these results to reassure myself and the respectful community members of me being right and to "blame" DSM (or rather, loader) for the issues, but to be fully honest, I think that this at least shall not be disregarded when overviewing the issue on global scale. 

I hope these finding give us some food for a thought at least, and am wondering what you guys think of it...

On 3/6/2021 at 6:09 PM, reDDevil said:

1500 MTU can not be fixed manually in the settings of DSM unfortunately with unknown reason

1500 is just the default

thats following is a copy from 918+ synoinfo.conf (and its the same for 3615/17, file in /etc.defaults and /etc)

eth0_mtu="1500"
eth0_wol_options="d"
eth1_mtu="1500"
eth1_wol_options="d"

В 08.03.2021 в 00:33, IG-88 сказал:

Why do you recommend me to find correct MTU for internet connection? There is NO any problem with DOWNLOAD speed to DSM, there is a problem of READ speed from DSM to local divices with mtu 1500 set automatically in DSM

Edited by reDDevil

Why do you recommend me to find correct MTU for internet connection? There is NO any problem with DOWNLOAD speed to DSM, there is a problem of READ speed from DSM to local divices with mtu 1500 set automatically in DSM

you can check other systems in the network if there is a different mtu size involved >1500?

В 09.03.2021 в 02:02, IG-88 сказал:

you can check other systems in the network if there is a different mtu size involved >1500?

I checked all my devices in the network. All of them are set automatically to DHCP and have MTU 1500. iMac as well

iMac-Dmitry:~ reddevil$ networksetup -getMTU en0
Active MTU: 1500 (Current Setting: 1500)

But ifconfig run on iMac shows me one strange interface with MTU 2000

utun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 2000
	inet6 fe80::d71d:9b73:2477:19ef%utun0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xe 
	nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

I don't have any VPN, Tunnelblick or Back to my Mac installed 😕 
Anyway this interface can't be a reason, I think

I don't have any VPN, Tunnelblick or Back to my Mac installed 😕 

its seems to be created by default from the os (at least from what i can see googling that)

Anyway this interface can't be a reason, I think

seems very unlikely

i'd say if 2000 works for you just put that in you documentation and thats it, might be a special glitch of a older realtek hardware or whatever

you usually get lower performance with mismatched mtu's and as long as you have no problems like this ...