XPEnology Community

Hmm... 

using 100Mb/s a 3GB file would be transferred in about 4 min if I remember correct.

25 MB/s is about 200 Mb/s so something seems wrong (as you have seen).

Some missing info:

1 - What type of media is in your NAS? (HDD/SSD/SATA-1/2/3)

2 - What type of RAID is your NAS using?

3 - How is the client connected to your NAS?  Direct or via a switch? (hopefully not an antique HUB).

4 - Are both the client and your NAS reporting 1GB link speed?

5 - Are you transferring 1 BIG file, or many small files?

6 - On what type media are the file(s) located?

7 - What type of interface is that media using?

8 - How do you perform the filetransfer? (mapped drive or drag&drop)

9 - What OS are you using on your client?

17 hours ago, bearcat said:

Hmm... 

using 100Mb/s a 3GB file would be transferred in about 4 min if I remember correct.

25 MB/s is about 200 Mb/s so something seems wrong (as you have seen).

Some missing info:

1 - What type of media is in your NAS? (HDD/SSD/SATA-1/2/3)

2 - What type of RAID is your NAS using?

3 - How is the client connected to your NAS?  Direct or via a switch? (hopefully not an antique HUB).

4 - Are both the client and your NAS reporting 1GB link speed?

5 - Are you transferring 1 BIG file, or many small files?

6 - On what type media are the file(s) located?

7 - What type of interface is that media using?

8 - How do you perform the filetransfer? (mapped drive or drag&drop)

9 - What OS are you using on your client?

1. HDD WD Red 3TB x2
  2. Raid 1
  3. Switch
  4. Yes
  5. Transferring a 1GB file for testing
  6. My PC
  7. Dont understand fully
  8. Tried Mapped, Drag Drop, terra copy and also FTP 
  9. Im using Windows 10 with an ssd drive in there.

Edited by syno406
mis quote

Regarding 1.) Type of HDD:

What S-ATA controller or mainboard is used? If it’s relatively old it’s possible that your bandwidth is lower (50% of the hdd‘s maximum interface speed). RAID1 gains no benefits in speed so if your S-ATA controller supports only older standards you won’t be able to unleash the full performance of your hdd.

Regarding 6/7,

I was trying to ask if the file was located on: HDD, SSD, USB, etc. and if it was using PATA/SATA-(1/2/3)/USB-(1/2/3)

Since the storage-media and the interface used on the media/the controller will, as jensmander say, limit the actual speed you can achive.

edit:

btw, how come your NAS have 9GB of RAM?

You would do better with 2*4GB, utilizing the dual channel memory architecture

Edited by bearcat
added a Q

14 hours ago, jensmander said:

Regarding 1.) Type of HDD:

What S-ATA controller or mainboard is used? If it’s relatively old it’s possible that your bandwidth is lower (50% of the hdd‘s maximum interface speed). RAID1 gains no benefits in speed so if your S-ATA controller supports only older standards you won’t be able to unleash the full performance of your hdd.

Its a Dell Motherboard CN-OHY9JP-73604. Dont know where to check the SATA controller from.

13 hours ago, bearcat said:

Regarding 6/7,

I was trying to ask if the file was located on: HDD, SSD, USB, etc. and if it was using PATA/SATA-(1/2/3)/USB-(1/2/3)

Since the storage-media and the interface used on the media/the controller will, as jensmander say, limit the actual speed you can achive.

edit:

btw, how come your NAS have 9GB of RAM?

You would do better with 2*4GB, utilizing the dual channel memory architecture

Went to 8GB didnt help speeds. Still Transferring at 31MB/s

Transferring from an SSD on my PCto the NAS. The drives are plugged into these.

image.png.7cab19c55f1904cbbb54f6544c7d60c9.png

Tried the white ports also

Even if it drops to 150, it's still much higher than he's getting - and 'just about above' the limits of most non-SSD drives..

On my 1GB network - despite having LACP etc - files transfer at 111MB/sec; which is maxed-out GB.. 

Have you tried copying from another computer?
Also try using a crossover cable PC<>NAS to rule out problems with the switch (set static IP's obviously)..

Try different network cables..

Is it 1000Mb full duplex on all NICs/Interfaces?

BIOS updated etc..
Any clanking noises from the drive?

2.5 or 3.5"?

Try add-in network card, rather than the integrated one..

How about running a Linux boot USB disk - rather than synology - and trying the file copy to/from the Windows 10 PC..

What about performance when copying files ON the NAS? ie, copy a file to the same volume.. Also to another volume etc. Using the file manager interface.

i'd suggest to split processes to check for the bottleneck

1. netio (availibe as x86 and 64 binary for linux to copy it to the nas and also for windows) to check on the network connection

2. having 2 local disks or volumes to copy between them locally with the dsm filestation to check the disk performance

and you think >1GB/s is normal speed when reading and writing non ssd disk? imho you just see cache speeds (RAM used as cache in you nas)

my intent was to check if the raid volume can read/write fast enough, so still the request to check it an use a file thats bigger then your ram (or y group of big files like some iso images)

27 minutes ago, syno406 said:

What can I try next?

point one, start netio on both sides (-> documentation for syntax) to measure net speed (without using any disks)

https://web.ars.de/netio/

Edited by IG-88

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

and you think >1GB/s is normal speed when reading and writing non ssd disk? imho you just see cache speeds (RAM used as cache in you nas)

my intent was to check if the raid volume can read/write fast enough, so still the request to check it an use a file thats bigger then your ram (or y group of big files like some iso images)

point one, start netio on both sides (-> documentation for syntax) to measure net speed (without using any disks)

https://web.ars.de/netio/

is there any reference guide on how to use this?

yes, what tool exactly is not important, so its a network problem

next would be to use a 3rd computer to test with both, if performance between the other two is normal (and a cable problem between nas and switch can be ruled out) the the nas is the problem

if possible you can add a network card instead of using a 3rd computer (preferably a with a different chip), also you still need to rule out cable problems when doing this instead of the above

what are the network adapters, what diver is used (lsusb/lspci)?

witch one is dsm on windows?

you can boot a a recent live linux (ubuntu) and test if performance is better with that (instead of dsm)

"external adapters" mean USB?

so could be usb problem or a nic driver poblem

try to make make sure usb device i not sharing with other usb device (at least for testing)

look here, that gives you a hint how to do it (lsusb)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/17690-drivers-for-usb-30-to-ethernet-255-gbit/?tab=comments#comment-123403

if its a driver problem we might compile a new driver from newer source

Ok ... what you totally missed to inform us in your first post, was the use of an USB-Ethernet dongle.

What is the speed of the USB interface your dongle is connected to?

A "wild" guess from me would be that your using an USB-2 port, that would end up giving you about 200Mb/s = 25MB/s

USB 2.0 provides a maximum throughput of up to 480Mbps.

When coupled with a 1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet adapter, a USB 2.0 enabled computer will deliver approximately up to twice the network speed when connected to a Gigabit Ethernet network as compared to the same computer using a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet port.

Edited by bearcat

4 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Ok ... what you totally missed to inform us in your first post, was the use of an USB-Ethernet dongle.

What is the speed of the USB interface your dongle is connected to?

A "wild" guess from me would be that your using an USB-2 port, that would end up giving you about 200Mb/s = 25MB/s

The external adapter is usb 3.0 plugged into a usb 3.0 port

if your windows system with the usb dongle can deliver the full speed(PC2?) then the problem might be with the dsm system (PC1?)

you can make a ubs stick with a live linux for the dsm hardware or even install open media vault to have different linux for testing the dsm hardware

Juts want to make sure you have all the facts. There are 3 computers here. 

PC1 - My primary (Laptop) that I was getting speeds of 30Mb/s with an external USB-Ethernet adapter

PC2- Laptop. Getting speeds of 108MB/s with the same USB-Ethernet adapter as i was using on PC1

PC3- DSM. Installed on an Optiplex 790 with the onboard NIC

Should I still try the Open media vault step to test the speed?