XPEnology Community

How to install xpenology on headless system

Griffen

I recently purchased a secondhand HP EX490 media server with Xpenology on it I am  completely new to media servers and nas though am quite software capable. I was expecting windows home server to work (since I also got the original software along with it) but quickly discovered this not to be the case. I hesitated to use Xpenology but must admit it's actually quite good. The seller is long gone from the online market place I purchased it from which is a pity because I have some questions about xpenology.  The first one is in have a loader program on a usb stick and the DSM on a harddrive. Is it possible to have the bootloader  and DSM on a usb stick? Am I able to also save my media on the same harddrive as where DSM is located?  And probably the most pressing question is how can I install Xpenology and DSM on a headless system (just in case I ever want to receive install it)? 

All up though I was reluctant to use Xpenology / DMS at first I am now very happy I gave it a go...

Kind regards 

Griffin 

1 hour ago, Griffen said:

Is it possible to have the bootloader  and DSM on a usb stick?

no

Am I able to also save my media on the same harddrive as where DSM is located?

"initialized" for a disk means it crates ~two 2GB partitions (one dsm system, one linux swap) and the rest is free to create a raid array

And probably the most pressing question is how can I install Xpenology and DSM on a headless system (just in case I ever want to receive install it)? 

the same way a headless original unit is used, only difference is you have a "external" usb flash drive

i'd suggest you read the faq to give you some basics

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

I will read up on the link you provided.  The reason though I ask about the headless system though is because the original system is installed using a windows connector program (this being the very thing that WHS has trouble with).

Thanks for the reply :)

synology original system are headless by default, even if you connect a monitor, after the kernel start you don't see anything, you would need to connect a serial null modem cable to get a (local) console

everything you need after booting is a network connection and i suggest the "Synology Assitant" Application you can download from Synology, its easy to search for DSM systems in the local network with this

if it does not show up in network then in most cases its a problem with the network adapter (not supported) or in the case of 918+ loader/image you need at least a 4th gen intel (haswell) to make the kernel start