XPEnology Community

Expanded Volume - Capacity?

Jamie_b

Hi all just adopted XPEnology on my microserver g7 started with one 4tb drive in shr then I expanded the volume with another 4tb disk the checking took a while but no errors etc.

Now I have my volume showing 2 disks in disk info status normal but the capacity is still the same I'm a bit of a noob, this is my first non out of the box NAS is it usual for the capacity to be the same? Or is this a bug? I can't get into manage the volume due to the option now being greyed out.

Any help with this would be sincerely appreciated.

If you chose you use RAID1 or SHR (default) protection during setup and have only 2 HDD you will see the capacity equal to one drive. The second drive and capacity of that drive is used as protection against the primary drive failing. As you add more capacity (HDD) your capacity will increase e.g with SHR protection 2x3TB HHD yields ~3TB usable capacity, 3x3TB yields ~6TB, 4x3TB yields ~9TB etc. If you opt for no protection during setup or disk addition you will have full capacity but no protection against HDD failure.

Good luck storming the castle

MF

Thank you very much for the reply much appreciated, so this was a foolish move by myself and due to only having the two disks not much benefit on the storage of my data! Is there a way without starting from scratch I can revert my SHR to a non protected environment within xpenology and use the 8tb as a whole keeping the 3dYs worth of already copied media in tact?

Thank you very much for the reply much appreciated, so this was a foolish move by myself and due to only having the two disks not much benefit on the storage of my data! Is there a way without starting from scratch I can revert my SHR to a non protected environment within xpenology and use the 8tb as a whole keeping the 3dYs worth of already copied media in tact?

You would need to do something like:

1) remove one of the disks from the volume (resulting in a degraded RAID)

2) re add the disk as a NEW non RAID volume.

3) copy the contents of the degraded RAID to the new volume

4) re add the degraded RAID disk as a new disk

5) add it to the new non RAID volume.

However to qualify this I don't think anyone here would a) condone using a non RAID set up and b) condone using contiguous unprotected space over two disks - your chance of data loss due to disc failure will increase if you do this. My advice is to keep your current set up, and buy another 4TB (now or at a later date) if you really need 8TB. Yes it's painful to have a whole disk given to redundancy, but you'll get over it.