XPEnology Community

How to create xpenology VM in ESXi with virtual harddrive?

Jamzor

Hi,

I just want to create a VM in ESXi 6.7 to test something. I dont have any spare physical harddrives. But I have space on my datastore.

How do I set up harddrives for this? I tried using SCSI controller in addition to the SATA 0:0 disk for synoboot. I added a 2 SCSI harddrives and load up synology. I come to the installation page and choose my .pat file. It installs DSM and then reboots. But after a minute it tells me No hard drives can be found...

Someone please tell me how to set this up..

20 hours ago, IG-88 said:

Thanks I know about this guide already.. I have couple xpenology VMs running. But they are all with physical drives, thats myproblem. I dont know how to create it with virtual drives, and that guide does not say..

19 hours ago, flyride said:

For 6.2.x use all SATA.  Usually I use SATA 0:0 for synoboot and other virtual drives as SATA 1:x

This is in the Tutorial...

I have tried creating new disks with SATA controller multiple times.. I tried setting "dependend" and "persistant" but still every time I boot it says no disks found...

I dont know what Im doing wrong.. The only way I get it to actually detect disks are with SCSI controller..

5 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

I have tried creating new disks with SATA controller multiple times.. I tried setting "dependend" and "persistant" but still every time I boot it says no disks found...

I dont know what Im doing wrong.. The only way I get it to actually detect disks are with SCSI controller..

I think the problem may be that you have the wrong VM hardware emulation profile.

It's important that you pick the "Other Linux 3.x x64" option when you initially build the VM.  In that particular tutorial it's not very prominently shown, but it is there. 

1 minute ago, flyride said:

I think the problem may be that you have the wrong VM hardware emulation profile.

It's important that you pick the "Other Linux 3.x x64" option when you initially build the VM.  In that particular tutorial it's not very prominently shown, but it is there. 

I have exactly this: Other Linux 3.x x64